Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:54 PM   #1

interesting animal life. Comments welcome. Just getting the hang of the S2
Attached Images

docalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2

oh my gosh.. in ALL the world.. that's the only place I'd want to go.. How long did ou have to wait to go?.. Did you go with a tour group?.. How long was your trip?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:00 PM   #3

Nice shot but itappears to me that the "FOG EFFECT" does exist (and I just bought an S2 buthaven't received it yet).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:37 AM   #4

I wouldn't be too worried. This seems to be a image taken somewhere near full zoom at 1/250 sec at f/4. So there may well be some shake. If the subject is large and relatively close, then high-zoom and f/4 will result in limited DOF. We also don't know what post processing and cropping has occured - if the image has been downsized considerably with no USM, then that will make things worse.

The IS should have taken care of shake at this speed, but only if the photographer keeps the camera within reasonable limits. I've been using an S2 IS for a few months now, and I find that with large amounts of zoom, you still have to be very carefull to avoid movement. Other cameras may have better IS, I don't know.

When shooting wildlife, I use high-speed bursts of two to three shots. And I also take two to three separate bursts at different exposure compensation levels. And I may also take more shots changing ISO and aperture as well (I bought a 1gig memory card). If you can, get closer and don't use x12, everything becomes much easier.

Here is a worst case example, max-zoom, 1/40 sec, and f/4. On the left, you can see I blew it, and caused shake. And the left is over-exposed revealing the S2 IS's PF problem. On the right I did better, but still only 1/80 sec, so maybe I could have done better in good light. Cropped 600x800 from the middle of each image and reduced each by 50%, no smoothing, no USM.

(Other examples with full EXIF details at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ )
Attached Images

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:13 AM   #5

Here is a longish zoom under more ideal conditions and settings (no smoothing and no USM).

(Full details at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/106007096/ )

From reptiles to the nearest things to dinosaurs.

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6

And no sharpening either? The duck looks very nice and clear. Ditto to the reptile shoton the right. I should be getting my S2 today and I can't wait to start taking some pictures to see if the "fog effect" really does or does not exist. I'm not a professional photographer and I don't claim to be good at it either. But the pictures that I've taken with my H1 are pristine, right out of the camera. I'm hoping the S2 will produce the same quality photos. The primary reason for buyingthe S2 (since I already have the H1)was because although the sharpness of the H1 is awesome, the colors are a bit on the cool side, as opposed to the S2, which produces really nice, warm and well saturated images.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:11 PM   #7

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
... The primary reason for buyingthe S2 (since I already have the H1)was because although the sharpness of the H1 is awesome, the colors are a bit on the cool side, as opposed to the S2, which produces really nice, warm and well saturated images.
Should be interesting. One of the things I can't judge about the S2 IS is how easy is it to get good shots compared to other super-zooms.

It just occured to me that, although there is no USM in the original 1024x768 at flickr, I suspect flickr may be using a little USM in the reduced flickr-generated 500x375 shown here - but the sharpness looks the same in both sizes - so it is still representative.

Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:33 PM   #8

I think the quality of the super zoom has more to do withhow good theimage stabilization system isthan anything else (if you are not using a tripod, of course). The H1 has a very efficient IS. I took many pictures at full zoom and they all came out very clear. We'll see how the S2 behaves.