Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:02 PM   #11

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hello Rudo,

I was very surprised to read your comment. I have always been under the assumption that the Canon's have been good at handling noise. From their P&S cameras to their DSLR cameras. Especially their DSLRs.

Can I ask you where or how you came to your conclusion? Did you read a test report mentioning that the Panasonic FZ30 actually handles noise better than the Canon S2 IS? I mean, Panasonic cameras have always been the one brand that has been singled out as "noise monsters". The noise level on Canon's have always been said to be "average" (P&S cameras)...with noise not being an issue till ISO 400.
Well it was not in a test rapport, but it's based on these pictures

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17346138

Here is a iso 400 picture of the S2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/IMG_0048.JPG

And here is the same picture taken with the FZ7

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/p1000048.jpg

Unfortunatly steve hasn't got the same picture taken with the FZ30 on his site, but the first link shows you enough I guess

I think the S2 and the FZ30 are both very good camera's but it's my opinion that the name "noise monster" is not in its place.

But maybe when you look at the price difference, the FZ30 is about € 100,-- more expensive here in Holland,I guess that's about the same in the rest of the world, that expertations are higher. But for the FZ7 also the noise would be a big problem, and that camera is aboutthe same price as the S2, so I think "noise monster" is untrue compared to the S2.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:27 PM   #12

Hello Rudo,

Thanks for posting the URL's. Was very surprised to see that the FZ7 produced less noise than the S2 IS at 400 ISO. Though, I'm guessing the S2 IS might do better at lower ISO. I could be wrong.

In any event, I doubt I'll be picking up a Panasonic FZ30 for reasons I've already mentioned. Cost being one of them. The S2 IS retails for $550.00 CAD and the FZ30 for $860.00 CAD. So, there is quite a difference here in Toronto. That and if I was willing to spend almost $900.00 on a camera like the FZ30 why not spend a few hundred dollars more and buy a DSLR?

I might even skip over the P&S cameras and pickup a Canon 30D DSLR. Sure it cost more than double but the camera is in a totally different league in all respects. Especially when it comes to noise if the 20D is any indication.

Comes down to how much I am willing to spend i think. Do I want to save a grand or so? Or do I want to just go for the gusto and hop skip jump right into DSLRs? Hmmm...

Take care! Have a good day!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:38 PM   #13

That image at 1000 is not very good. What they should do is resize the image when the image gets to noisy. I mean at that size the 1000 ISO liikes like crap but if it was 1/2 the size it may not look so bad. If it looks that poor why would anyone want to use that setting? Even the color suffers in that setting on that camera.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:39 PM   #14

E.T wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
For now, I'm looking at the Canon S3 IS or Sony DSC-H5. Both should have noise pretty much under control. Or at much more acceptable levels. If their predecesor versions are any indication.
No worries about those ultrazooms achieving steps forward when marketing clowns cram always more megapixels to too small sensor and then grossly exceed its capabilities... just watch how effectively you'll get rid of colours with ever heavier processing while there's still some chroma (colour) noise present:
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not..._H2_ISO400.jpg
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not...H2_ISO1000.jpg

And Panasonic uses heavy downsizing images (noise gets averaged away) and then blowing up them to original size for achieving detail/noise free results.

Quote:
I mean why would they want to leave such a big gap? Between the "entry-level" models (with very limited creative control) and the DSLR's?? Leaving "advanced amateurs" high and dry.
If you leave too small gap between them many buyers wouldn't see DSLR as justified when compared to what you could get in nice small convenient to carry all in one package.
(As I see "D"SLRs)

That image at 1000 is not very good. What they should do is resize the image when the image gets to noisy. I mean at that size the 1000 ISO looks like crap but if it was 1/2 the size it may not look so bad. If it looks that poor why would anyone want to use that setting? Even the color suffers in that setting on that camera.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote