Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1

As many of you already know Canon has already announced their cameras to be released in the coming months at the recent PMA show this past Feb. I believe there were 8 new Powershot cameras and the 1 DSLR (30D). But no sign of the "G7". Or the replacement for the G6. A terrfic camera.

Nor, did Canon announce it's replacement in Fall 2005 when they announced the first few of their new cameras (e.g. S80, SD550/450).

What's the story? Has Canon in their "wisdom" decided to can the very sucessful G-series? Though, I don't see why they would. The G-series has been very sucessful. All 6 iterations. Why would Canon kill off a good thing?

I was so set on getting the replacement of the G6. Now, I might have to "settle" for the upcoming S3 IS or Sony DSC-H5.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:42 PM   #2

Yes, I (as an owner of a G6) have to agree. It is really sad that the G-series has come to an end (if not, this would be a _big_ surprise). Now I'm thinking about purchasing the Panasonic FZ30 (the so called "noise monster"...but I have seen outstanding pictures taken with that cam and it's awesome Leica lens in the last 2 days) or the Fuji S9000. If I'll wait for the S3 IS...I'm not quite sure.

michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:10 PM   #3

Ithink it would be fair to say that there does not appear to be any follow-on camera within the Canon G series.

Another G-6 user.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:47 PM   #4

Yes, Canon is going the law quality route. The G series has been abandoned completely. In the A series the powerful 4 NiMH battery design is replaced by a cheap 2 battery design and the A610/620 is replaced by a junk model with smaller CCD. Same with ink jet printers. For a long Canon sold inkjet printers with unprotected cartridges. You did pay a little bit more for the printer but printing itself was fairly cheap. Now they have protected their cartridges with a chip like the other rip off manufacturers. There seems to be a new low quality - less customer satisfaction policy behind Canon's recent behavior. As a long time Canon shareholder and as a buyer of many Canon products I don't like that.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:48 PM   #5
E.T

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
What's the story? Has Canon in their "wisdom" decided to can the very sucessful G-series? Though, I don't see why they would.
Reason is very simple, money, more money and still more money.
They want to push every people they can to buy their cash cows, aka "D"SLRs.

And to that plan non-SLRs with good manual controls doesn't fit. Mostly they'll spew out standard unwide angle button zooms with menu surfing controls.
And even Panasonic is wanting to DSLRs side, same for Samsung.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6

I hope canon hasn't gotten rid of higher end digitals like the G or pro series. I am also disappointed by Canon's new P&S cameras. All of them (except maybe the SD700 IS)seem to be downgrades. I hope canon isn't going to make anything but little plastic toy P&S cameras without manual controls.

Unfortunately, the average buyer could care less that his/her camera has a 1/3.7 sensor ands has a 50mm wide angle, as long as it has alot of "megapixels". This seems to be what the entire market is based on. I bet that a company could build a camera with a 1/3.7 sensor and 10 MP's for the right price, they would still get many buyers, even though it's low light focusing ability's would be almost nonexistent, and picture the noise at ISO 100!

The wost of this is that Canon doesn't even have an DSLR that is under $700, so they are deserting this entire price range (other than the overpriced S3IS).
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:31 PM   #7

I was looking at the FZ30 myself. It was the fact that it's as miachael1973 put it "a noise monster" that I've taken it off my short-list. Especially if I'm to shell out $900 CAD. A few hundred dollars more and we have terrific entry-level DSLR like the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT. With interchangeable lens of varying quality. And other cool accessories.

I'm not sure if michael1973 meant he saw prints or just jpg files on his monitor. As the proof is always in the prints. Looking at picture galleries really doesn't show us much. Especially when they reduce the resolution.

For now, I'm looking at the Canon S3 IS or Sony DSC-H5. Both should have noise pretty much under control. Or at much more acceptable levels. If their predecesor versions are any indication. Plus, in the preliminary PMA reports, they mention that the H5 has some sort of "RAW feature". They didn't say if that necessarily means it will support the RAW file format. If it does support the RAW format I'll most likely be picking up a H5. And the reports did say Sony has worked on the "shot to shot" time for their 2 new H-series cameras. That was the only major sticking point with the H1. Making the Canon S2 IS the better choice for action shots.

As for the comment made by our Finland friend. I'd say I'll have to disagree on that one. At least partly. While it will always will come down to $ I don't think Canon's decision to axe the G-series is an attempt to force consumers to buy DSLR's. I mean why would they want to leave such a big gap? Between the "entry-level" models (with very limited creative control) and the DSLR's?? Leaving "advanced amateurs" high and dry.

The idea is to have some prosumer models for people who want to do more than take casual snap shots. Who ARE concerned about things like being able to choose the apature and shutter speed. Not to mention have control of the white balance. To be a little creative. A way to see if they have the talent to warrant the investment in costly DSLR gear. To wet their feet so to speak.

My 2 cents.

Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:32 AM   #8

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
why would they want to leave such a big gap? Between the "entry-level" models (with very limited creative control) and the DSLR's?? Leaving "advanced amateurs" high and dry.

Maybe the reason why, is because competition is to big.

FZ camera's from panasonic me be noise monsters, but they produce less noise than the S2 IS, so maybe that's the reason that canon desided the make a simple remake of the S2 IS, with a little more MP and a different color, so at least it will look like a different camera, and just see how things will go.

Competition in DSLR is also getting bigger with the new samsungs en Panasonic, so perhaps that Canon stays focused at their DSLR camera's to make sure they won't lose the competition in the DSLR market.

So there could be different reasons, but the main reason probably is how to make more money.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:15 AM   #9
E.T

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
For now, I'm looking at the Canon S3 IS or Sony DSC-H5. Both should have noise pretty much under control. Or at much more acceptable levels. If their predecesor versions are any indication.
No worries about those ultrazooms achieving steps forward when marketing clowns cram always more megapixels to too small sensor and then grossly exceed its capabilities... just watch how effectively you'll get rid of colours with ever heavier processing while there's still some chroma (colour) noise present:
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not..._H2_ISO400.jpg
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not...H2_ISO1000.jpg

And Panasonic uses heavy downsizing images (noise gets averaged away) and then blowing up them to original size for achieving detail/noise free results.

Quote:
I mean why would they want to leave such a big gap? Between the "entry-level" models (with very limited creative control) and the DSLR's?? Leaving "advanced amateurs" high and dry.
If you leave too small gap between them many buyers wouldn't see DSLR as justified when compared to what you could get in nice small convenient to carry all in one package.
(As I see "D"SLRs)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Rudo wrote:
Quote:
FZ camera's from panasonic me be noise monsters, but they produce less noise than the S2 IS, so maybe that's the reason that canon desided the make a simple remake of the S2 IS, with a little more MP and a different color, so at least it will look like a different camera, and just see how things will go.
Hello Rudo,

I was very surprised to read your comment. I have always been under the assumption that the Canon's have been good at handling noise. From their P&S cameras to their DSLR cameras. Especially their DSLRs.

Can I ask you where or how you came to your conclusion? Did you read a test report mentioning that the Panasonic FZ30 actually handles noise better than the Canon S2 IS? I mean, Panasonic cameras have always been the one brand that has been singled out as "noise monsters". The noise level on Canon's have always been said to be "average" (P&S cameras)...with noise not being an issue till ISO 400.

If it's a test report...could you please post the URL? I'd love to read it. Or, did you have a chance to test both cameras, hands-on, and do prints? Curious...

E.T.,

What did you mean when you said...

Quote:
E.T. wrote:
Quote:
And Panasonic uses heavy downsizing images (noise gets averaged away) and then blowing up them to original size for achieving detail/noise free results.
Thanks.