Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:24 PM   #11

Using the EVF rather than the LCD should increase stability.

Try practising in continous mode at high-speed. Squeeze the shutter down and hold it there until at least two shots fire. Compare shots at the start and end of the burst and use this as feed back on whether you're doing this smoothly enough.

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
I think my hand shakes a bit too much, so perhaps that is a major reason (the camera is a little heavy).
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:59 PM   #12

Good idea .... I didn't use the EVF very much because it's so small, and it can be a challenge to look through compared to the LCD screen. It's also hard to tweak settings on the go using the EVF as well.

Anyway, how do you use the macro/super macro mode ?

What does Ultrasonic do ?

:?

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:17 PM   #13

Macro mode changes the lens configuiration for close up photography - flowers, insects etc.
See page 56 of the manual. Super macro is easiest to use - hold down the macro button until the S super-macro indicator comes on. Get within a 10 cm of a subject such as a flower and shoot. Normal (non-super) macro works from 10 to 50cm, but seems much less useful - just use zoom from about 90cm instead.

The ultrasonic motor in the zoom is quieter and smoother than normal zoom motors - helps when shooting video.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:29 PM   #14

In my observation, the Canon S2 IS mode seems to work better when it is not set to continuous mode. I can't offer any technical explanation, other than the possibility that not having IS on during composition forces us to hold the camera more steady than we might with continuous IS selected.

In any event, the IS system offered on the S2 seems to be pretty much leading edge in practice. The Panasonic offering is good, but in side by side comparisons with the S2 (lighting, FL, F Stop, and Shutter speed being as closely matched as is possible), the S2 wins in my opinion.

Yes, it is easy to become comfortable, and ask too much of it, but in reality, it bends the rules I grew up with using film based SLR's in fine style.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote