Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:28 PM   #1

I have two Canon cameras: An SD400 and a brand new S2 IS that I just got today. My SD400 will accept 1 gig and 2 gig memory cards, but when I put the 2 gig card in my S2 IS it says "Memory card error." I can't even format the card. What gives?
AcornMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:41 AM   #2

it doesnt really say the max SD card the S2IS can use, but if you look at the video specs, it says video can be recorded until memory card is full. 1GB Max.. so i guess that means it can only handle 1GB cards.. which sucks becase that's only about 10mins video in the S2IS.. arghhh!!!!
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:13 AM   #3

I've seen people posting elsewhere saying they are using 2gig cards in the S2 IS. So I think it should work. I have also seen posts on different kinds of cameras (Canon, Panasonic, etc) having problems with different cards - and even the same card working in one camera but not another.

Sometimes people return the card and try a different or same brand with success. Sometimes they report FAT formatting in a PC fixes a card.

Thats the limit of my knowledge. Google searches (S2 IS 2gig), or forum searches here or at any of the other sites such as dpreview, dcresource, etc, might yeld more info.

(The video limit is real, but unrelated, don't know the reason, maybe some Microsoft FAT filesize or addressing limit?)
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:34 AM   #4

Using both the sandisk 2GB andultra II 2GB here without any problems on both my S2s. Hope this helps.
zip37602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

I also have a 2G Transcend 150x card that works superbly in my S2 IS..
kchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:12 PM   #6

I'm using an "SD Ultra II" 2GB in my S2 with no issues.
buddhasghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7

I'm using a 2Gb Adata 150x with no problems at all.

/Chris
NombreyApellido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Administrator

The limiting factor in card capacity is what file system the camera uses. The DOS file system known as FAT (file allocation table) is used by most consumer digicams and it is limited toa maximum addressable capacity of 2GB. Until the last year and a half it wasn't a problem as SD cards weren't made any larger than that - but of course now we have 4GB SD cards available. The camera must support the newer FAT32 file system to address memory beyond 2GB so be sure to read the camera specs carefully or check reviews on my site or others as we will specify the max capacity cardthe camera can handle.

Another disturbing problem now is that we are seeing a lot of non-brand name SD cards hitting the market from Chinese makers and my feeling is that many of these cards have never been properly certified to SD card standards. The price and capacity is very tempting but you can't be sure of what you're buying. eBay is full of tempting deals but buyer beware...

It's best to check and see if they have been certified by the SD Card Association first or risk getting something that doesn't work as expected. It's always a safe bet to buy a SanDisk, Lexar, Delkin, Kingston, Transcend, Toshiba, Panasonic, PQI, ATP orPretec card, these are all well known vendors with compatible products.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:44 PM   #9

Couldn't hurt to stick with big name brands - at least its easier to ask about others experiences.

I seen reports of problems, similar to the ones I described earlier, with several new name brand cards. Maybe there are quality control issues. On a casual scan It's hard to see any real trend in the postings. I think most people aren't having any problems - or there would be many more postings.

I'm not sure that it's abosutely safe to move cards between cameras without low level formatting them, some cameras may be more fussy about this kind of thing than others.

For what is worth my Transcend 1GB x80 card worked out of the box - put it in the camera, did a low level format and it worked no problems.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:34 PM   #10

Me too!

It seems the max file limitation is 1GB; but Transcend 2GB card work just fine.

Sunalei_Nvda is offline   Reply With Quote