Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:54 PM   #11

Attached Images

Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:53 AM   #12

Just to be clear - I take it the main image is at 111mm zoom and the insert is another image at full tele?

Jackco wrote:
Quote:
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:05 PM   #13

Hi Mchnz, the first one is at Wide (no zoom), and the insert is at full 12X. Sorry for the confusion.

I have no idea about the lens size, but it says 6.0mm-72.0mm on the lens of my camera. Does this mean 6.0mm at wide, and 72.0mm at full tele?

mchnz wrote:
Quote:
Just to be clear - I take it the main image is at 111mm zoom and the insert is another image at full tele?

Jackco wrote:
Quote:
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:24 PM   #14

i'd take canon's flip out and rotate lcd anyday of the week. it has saved me from numerous back aching situations more times than i can remember.

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Hi Laura, the trick to the steady hands is to use the optical viewfinder rather than the LCD. Youadd a lot more stability that way. Besides, I find theS2 1.8" LCD close to being useless scpecially in bright daylight (I wish the S2 had a 2.5" LCD like the H1).
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:03 PM   #15

Yes that's right, but that's the actual mm. It's also common to state the equivalent for a 35mm film camera because it provides a basis for comparing cameras with different sensor sizes (as I understand it). For the S2 IS, the 6mm to 72mm actual corresponds to a 35mm equivalent of 36mm to 432mm. My image-viewer reports actual mm and also reports 35mm equivalent - your main image was at 111mm in 35mm equivalent.

A table of these values for most digi-cams can be found here:
http://www.dofmaster.com/lengths.html
Dofmaster is an interesting web site because it provides a depth-of-field calculator:
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
When using a super-zoom it's good to get a feel for DOF when using a lot of zoom at less than 300 metres. Plug in values for the S2 IS on a close subject with full tele and a wide-aperture to see why.

Jackco wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mchnz, the first one is at Wide (no zoom), and the insert is at full 12X. Sorry for the confusion.

I have no idea about the lens size, but it says 6.0mm-72.0mm on the lens of my camera. Does this mean 6.0mm at wide, and 72.0mm at full tele?

mchnz wrote:
Quote:

Jackco wrote:
Quote:
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:06 PM   #16

Mchnz-

I'm confused - where do you get a read-out of the focal length of the picture that you have just taken? On the S2 is it given on the playback histogram?
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:12 PM   #17

The histogram only shows the exposure (whether the picture is over, under exposedor has the right exposure). It would be nice if Canon had added live histogram (in REC mode) so we could measure theexposure before taking the picture and not after the fact.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:13 PM   #18

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
The histogram only shows the exposure (whether the picture is over, under exposedor has the right exposure). It would be nice if Canon had added live histogram (in REC mode) so we could measure theexposure before taking the picture and not after the fact.

They saved that for the S3. :sad:
buddhasghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:56 PM   #19

Maybe I'll buy the S4 next year!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:47 PM   #20

That's Macapagal hi-way right?

asr dude wrote:
Quote:
full zoom out..

danielg is offline   Reply With Quote