Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:20 AM   #11

USING COLOR ACCENT MODE!!!THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FEATURE OF THIS CAMERA...JUS LUV IT!!!
Attached Images

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:16 AM   #12

kriss wrote:
Quote:
HI ALL,
I'm NEW TO THIS FORUM AND THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING,I BOUGHT CANON S2 IS RECENTLY AFTER DONG ALL THE SO CALLED RESEARCH..etc...BUT I SOMEHOW FEEL THAT IMAGE STABILZATION HARDLY WORKS WHEN I TAKE SHOTS USING THE FULL ZOOM,ALMOST ALL THE IMGAGES ARE BLURRED ,IS A TRIPOD MANDATORY FOR THE FULL ZOOM SHOTS?OR IS IT THE SETTINGS WHICH ARE WRONG...? PLEASE SUGGEST ME...

That is a very difficult shot for any camera.First, there is serious haze from air pollution. Secondly, it's a low light shot thorugh that haze at full zoom handheld. I'm amazed it came out as well as it did!

The S2 would of gotten the shot had it not been low light, but it likely still would have been hazy.

The S2's IS is actually very good. But it's not a good low light camera ( only Fuji makes good low light consumer cams).
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:57 AM   #13

The night shot is brilliant! As suggested, increase the shutter speed if you don't have a tripod or the ISO if you really need more light. You add some noise but reduce the blur considerably.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:39 PM   #14

Thank you very much Tullio,I will surely try doing that. Right now I'm planning to buy a tripod.can anyone suggest a tripod which is economical ( not more than 35$) yet efficient..and which can be carried easily.without adding much of weight...???
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:39 PM   #15

I've read various reviews on the S2 where the author speaks of using the IS function in the "Shoot Only" mode. Whatare the advantages/disadvantages of this mode versus the "Continuous" mode? Thanks in advance.
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:49 PM   #16

Well, for one, it conserves battery power, as the camera is not always focusing and refocusing.

And it also seems to focus better (at least for myself) in most situations when in "shoot only" mode. Why this is the case, I don't know. Mabye someone else can enlighten you. :-)
buddhasghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:08 PM   #17

I don't think the camera tries to focus all the time when the IS is set to continuous because it has nothing to do with the AF. Basically the IS is a system where the lenses move to compensate for camera shake. In continuous mode, the lenses keep moving as you move the camera aroundduring composition while in shooting mode, the lenses sit still until youpress the shutter. At that moment, the camera knows you are ready to take the picture and the lenses will move ONLY if you shake the camera. Because the lenses are in a still mode, if there is no camera shake, they don't move at alland if there is, the movement is minimal since you are already trying hard to keep still. Thus, the image quality is better.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:33 PM   #18

I'm not personally familiar with the continuous mode on the S2, but I always use it on my Panasonic despite the extra battery drain. I also always used it on my D7i.

The biggest advantage is that with most cameras in continuous focus it continues to update the focus after you half press the shutter. That is a tremendous advantage in dynamic situations because you can get almost instant response and still have the target in focus. Without continuous focus if the target moves you have to release the shutter and press it again. If you are shooting a perpetual motion rugrat you never catch up. My cameras with continuous focus have a much higher percentage of good motion shots than my cameras without it.

I also prefer the EVF always being in focus even if I'm not shooting moving objects.

Some cameras also give a full shutter press speed advantage in continuous, but the S2 doesn't.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:55 AM   #19

Helllo allll....

Can anyone suggest me a TRIPOD FOR CANON S2 IS...I want it to be compatible with my back pack...which is not heavy...and above all I want something which is priced around 35$...
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:50 PM   #20

Hi Kriss, I bought a Mini-D PlatinumPlus by Sunpak and it works great as a portable unit. It's actually a table tripod so you are a bit limited to where you can set it up. I carry it in my car and I've used it a lot to take sunset shots on my way home from work.It's about 7-8" tall when retracted and it extends up to 11.5". It's very sturdy, well crafted and it won't break your budget ($15 at Best Buy).It is certainly compatible with your backpack. Check it out. You can also buy table tripods on eBay for as low as $5.