Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:38 AM   #1

HI ALL,
I'm NEW TO THIS FORUM AND THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING,I BOUGHT CANON S2 IS RECENTLY AFTER DONG ALL THE SO CALLED RESEARCH..etc...BUT I SOMEHOW FEEL THAT IMAGE STABILZATION HARDLY WORKS WHEN I TAKE SHOTS USING THE FULL ZOOM,ALMOST ALL THE IMGAGES ARE BLURRED ,IS A TRIPOD MANDATORY FOR THE FULL ZOOM SHOTS?OR IS IT THE SETTINGS WHICH ARE WRONG...? PLEASE SUGGEST ME...
Attached Images

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:33 AM   #2

As your image lacks any EXIF infomation, I can't tell what settings it was taken with.
It looks like you took the image in low light. Handheld maximum zoom isn't really possible in low light. Zoom magnifies everything, including shake - you need to brace yourself against something, or use a tripod. Depending on how bad the light is, you might be able to take an unbraced handheld shot if you use less zoom/magnification. This recent discussion thrashed out general rules and tips for using the zoom in low light:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

In good light you should be getting results as sharp as the ones in this post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

Although focus/sharpness should be similar, images taken in a city may suffer more from haze and smog.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:05 AM   #3

I'm getting EXIF from the image. It says the shot was taken at 1/5 second.

The rule of thumb without stabilization is that you need the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent focal length in shutter speed to get a really sharp images using good holding technique – in other words not using the LCD.

At full zoom the camera is 420mm equivalent focal length. So you would need roughly 1/400 second for a sharp image with the stabilization off. Stabilization is advertised at 3 f-stops. So you could take the same photo with about 1/50 with stabilization.

Your EXIF data shows a 37.8mm focal length. I would guess that is about 230 mm equivalent. That means you need around 1/30 second shutter if you use the eyelevel viewfinder and have a steady hold. 1/5 second isn't really enough. Stabilization is great but it has limits. Your stabilization is probably working fine.

Something that helps some is to use the burst mode. Get a steady hold, release half of your breath and squeeze the shutter, holding it in burst for 3 or 4 shots. That bypasses any movement from pressing and releasing the shutter. 1/5 second at that focal length is still a challenge.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:35 AM   #4

It's not unusual to have such problems - The IS is not that good on the S2, so you need not worry.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:40 AM   #5

At 1/5 is impossible take this image. The stabilization is fantastic, i shoot to 1/20 ant the image very good but less is impossible to take a good image.
Harlekino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 3:44 AM   #6

The canon stabilization is the almost the best among these kinda cams, look at the dpreview review of the s2!

"Although we've no definitive test for IS systems in real-world use, I was very impressed with the S2's system, which seems roughly on a par with that offered by Panasonic in its Lumix range."
stema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:53 AM   #7

Thank You one and all for your valuable inputs,probably I should seriously consider getting a tripod,this is another shot taken at the same time but not using much of the zoom.But I'm not sure if I used the same settings,gotta check the data....
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:11 AM   #8

Your last shot is at 1/13 second and probably around 70mm eq. That focal length should require about 1/9 second with stabilization and a steady hold, so you were well within the shutter speed.

Learn to do the math and check the shutter speed by half pressing the shutter when in doubt. With good technique you can usually go slower than the formula as long as you aren't making large prints or viewing 100%. Working on your hold and breathing and maybe with a burst, you might have been able to get that first shot so it looks OK at the size you posted.

Some numbers as a rough guide.
Full zoom – 1/50
Half zoom – 1/30
Full wide – 1/5 second

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:09 AM   #9

Thank You very much Slipe,I will surely try using the settings you mentioned the next time.This is another shot using the Night Mode.
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:16 AM   #10

This is another picture taken from a moving car,have cropped the image a bit.
Attached Images