Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:59 PM   #1

I liked this shot- it's just my backyard- but My Colors makes it so much more interesting!

No editing at all- I'm sure I could crop out some stuff (such as the uneven railing)- but I just wanted to post up my first shot on here
Attached Images

captal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 2:51 AM   #2

I too have an S2 but never used the "my colors" feature. It seems interesting. Looking at the table, I see a very soft image (typical of the S2). I don't know about you but I prefer more vibrant colors and a lot more sharpness. I found setting the camera to color effect VIVID or custom with increased sharpness works real well. Unless you like soft images, you should try VIVID.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:42 PM   #3

Is there a way to make it save the custom settings? I have to change it to vivid every time I'm on custom!

Actually I just turned my camera on and it looks like it saved this time... maybe I'm ok. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can do My Colors and Vivid or sharp
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:48 PM   #4

You are correct, if using "my colors", color effect can not be used. In a way it kind of makes sense since the cameralooses control of the colors. But, I stillthink that increasing/decreasing sharpness should be allowed (though it isn't).
Old Mar 15, 2006, 6:12 PM   #5

At least less in-camera sharpening allows for more/better post-processing.

When you reduce an image in size for posting, detail is lost in the downsize resampling - some unsharp-mask (sharpening via an optical illusion) is almost a must. Google's picassa has all you need to do this - and it's free and user friendly.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:06 PM   #6

I have the S2 alwaysset to either VIVID or custom +sharpening and I have not noticed any degradation in quality, on the contrary. I too use Picassa but it does have its limitations specially when using "sharpen". It add a lot of noise to the picture and you can not control how much to sharpen the image.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 7:08 PM   #7

I'd love to use picassa, but I am now Windows free! I installed Linux a couple days ago (now if I could only get my wireless card to work- sigh).
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:05 PM   #8

I don't personally use picassa. My main desktop has been Linux since 1992. I use The Gimp ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) and ImageMagick. The Gimp is available for windows as well - it's both similar and different to photoshop - and has a bit of a learning curve. ImageMagick is command line driven - good for batch processing. exif.py is a good utility that understands some of Canon's EXIF custom tags.

The key to wireless seems to be to buy a card with a well supported chipset - I had a wireless extension to my home network for a while - but it was too slow, and WPA-enhanced wasn't supported for the chipset I bought.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote