Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 20, 2006, 7:38 AM   #1

I'm about to buy a compact digital camera. A main criteria for me is movie mode.
I'd like to have the best video quality available without sacrificing too much photo capatibilities.
The A620 seems to be a good choice. Though movies are large and limited to 1 GB I've not seen better video quality among compact digicams.

But when I came to watch the sample movie of the S2 IS over at DCresource I was stunned. :shock:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

From the samples I saw, I can't tell if A620's video quality is the same as that of the S2. Using the same DIGIC II processor I assume, that they produce similar video quality.
Can anybody who owns both confirm this?

becurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:33 AM   #2

I've owned both. The video is pretty much the same. The sound on the other hand is not. The S2 wins HANDS down with sound.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply vwmom!

Stereo sound and zoom function while recording are not so important for me. Video quality however is. So I'll be fine with the A620.

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
I've owned both. The video is pretty much the same. The sound on the other hand is not. The S2 wins HANDS down with sound.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4

Oh.. forgot another thing (it was late last night)... You can zoom in movie mode with the S2.. the 610, no. Not a huge thing, but I like the zoom option. Great for my kids sports.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:19 PM   #5

I too have both cameras and I think the S2 is much better. Some of the features not found on the A610:

Tally lamp - makes it easy to know when you are/are not recording

Image stabilizer - makes all the difference in the world, specially when recording kids running around

ability to take a picture while recording a movie (I don't believe the A610 allows that)

12x zoom - the A610 only offers 4x, which is enough for indoors but not someoutdoor conditions (I recently went to the mountains on vacation and taped my son coming down a tall slope on an inner tube. With a 4x zoom he would be nothing but a dot on the screen

I'm sure there are others but to me these are the most important ones. Forget about the stereo sound. Two mics 1 1/2 inches apart will never, everrecord any sound that will appear to be in stereo.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:24 AM   #6

I own both of those cameras. The movie mode on the S2 is far, far superior to the one on a620. There's no comparison, even. You see it especially during low light filming and during zoom. A620 only does digital zoom in movie mode which results in movies looking horrible. S2 shoots movies that are on par with a 3 yr old dedicated camcorders, no doubt about it.

Also, lack of IS on A620 results in jittery films, you have to hold the camera, reeeeal steady and pan very slowly, otherwise ppl get a headache watching your creation on a big monitor.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:51 PM   #7

Thanks so much for your replies.
I haven't made myself clear enough in the opening post. Actually I was never considering purchasing the S2. It's above my price range and it's too bulky for my purposes.
I only wanted to know, if the video quality of the two cameras is comparable in terms of clarity, compression (artifacts) or smoothness.

Now see what you've done. I'm seriously thinking about buying that stupid S2 though I can't afford it.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:12 PM   #8

There is a significant price difference between the A610 and the S2 even though S2 prices have come down considerably in the past couple of weeks. Still, Dell sells the A610 for about $180 while the cheapest S2 you can buy is at Beachcamera for $337. If you don't need the extra optical zoom, don't bother with the S2. The greatest advantage of the S2 over the A610 is the zoom.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:13 PM   #9

The A610 does digital zoom in video mode but it is not very good at it. Pictures with digital zoom to the maximum come out quite good but movies get blurry.

Sound is not very good and I get a noticeable hissing noise in my videos. Is that common with this camera (A610)?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:31 PM   #10

The movie mode is one the the S2's good features. The movie mode is EXCELLENT !
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote