Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:54 AM   #11

I use 58mm as it fits the adapter well. Its a little tight on the thread but certainly holds firm when in use.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:24 PM   #12

DSLR's have a different focus mechanism that won't work with a linear polariser. Linear is fine for the S2 IS.

BTW, I use a Lensmate 52mm, the Lensmate FAQ is honest - the 52 is the one to go for it you're not likely to add any 58mm accessories. It's compact, protects the lens well, and looks good. The Lensmate FAQ mentions that, with both their 52mm and 58mm, it can be a bit fiddly getting the filter threads to mesh when the lensmate is attached to the camera, but I think it gets easier with practise (have to be careful to start off right). Is the Canon adapter better in this respect?

As suggested by Lensmate, if I ever buy a tele, I would buy a separate adaptor for it so that the tele+adaptor can be quickly attached/detached via the S2's bayonet mount.

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
.. Ifound a linear polarizer filter and it worked just fine. Can any one explain why most sites recommendcircular polarizers instead? Thanks.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:47 PM   #13

Thanks for clearing the pol. question up, mchnz. I first bought the Canon 58mm adapter for my S2 and did not like it for I found it to be bigger than needed so I returned it to Amazon after I found the Sakar 58mm adapterat BeachCamera for $12.95. It's aluminum made, shorter that the original (actually same size as the Lensmate)and fits very nicely. I've attached to itmy Sony tele adapter, step down rings and filters without any problem at all. I'm very happy with it!!! The reason I chose the 58mm is because I also have the Sony H1 and bought the Sony DH1758 1.7x tele, which is 58mm. The nice thing about the 58mm is that using step down rings (58mm to 49mm, which is quite a bit), does not produce any vignetting. Thiswould not be the case if I had to step up from 52mm to 58mm in order to fit the tele.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:07 AM   #14

i realize this is a very old thread, but i just bought the S2 to save a few bucks as i didn't see that much of a difference between it and the S3.......i am really a newbie to this kind of camera, had just really cheap digital cameras in the past....my question is this,as someof you that posted before, now will have used these items a lot by now...i am thinking of getting both a 52 and a 58 mm adaptor with a UV filter permanently installed in the 52 mm and using the 58 for maybe some other lenses i get in the future...just for versatility purposes and because its not that expensive to just buy both and use the bayonet release to swith adaptors......what do you guys think,,,,,also i want to purchase a UV filter and a polarization filter from probably lensmate,,,should i get the more expensive one with 6 layers on the polarization lense or is just the 2 layers good enough, sorry i really have no ideas on these issues and the more i read the more confused i get...i will probably go with the linear lenses, since when i do graduate to an dSLR in the future, this camera will be my wife's..... oh and what quality on the UV at lensmate too...thanks for you help, jay
jaynlottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:02 AM   #15

If I were you, I'd research the adapters you may be interested in getting first to see what mount size they have. I had an S2 and I used it with bot the Sony 1.7x tele (excellent combination by BTW) and the Raynox DCR 6600PRO wide angle (one of the best IMO in terms of distortion). In my case, I had to have both adapters you suggested (52 and 58mm) since the Sony mount is 58 and the Raynox is 52. You can also use the 52 with a step up ring 52-58mm so you can attach the Sony tele to it w/o having to carry two adapters. This works well as long as you use the long range of the zoom (10-12x) or vignetting will occur (dark corners). You can not do it the other way around. Any step down ring used with the WA will cause vignetting. The good thing about the 52mm adapter is that 52mm filters are much cheaper than 58. I'd buy a good MC UV for protection (no need to spend more than$20-$30 tops)and a Hoya polarizer. No need to go fancy on the pol. You'd be wasting your money. The thing is, when you use a converter (tele or WA), make sure you remove the filter first. The converter should sit as close to the lens as possible to prevent vignetting and soft corners. If you decide to buy the Raynox WA or tele (they also have a number of tele converters but make sure you stay away from the 2x converter DCR-2020), you should also buy their adapters for they work best with their converters, specially the WA. Initially when I bought the WA I had a different adapter, which was a millimeter too long causing vignetting. The Raynox 52mm adapter worked just fine. Hope this helps.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:50 AM   #16

I've done as you've described. I have a 52mm + UV permanently attached. This is a really nice way to protect the lens from dust and knocks. I have a 58mm which is normally attached to a Sony 1.7 VCLDH1758 which I use for birding (as Tullio says, the Sony is a fine match) - still have to get very cllose, so it's not anything like a digiscope.

jaynlottyd wrote:
Quote:
..getting both a 52 and a 58 mm adaptor with a UV filter permanently installed in the 52 mm and using the 58 for maybe some other lenses i get in the future...
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote