Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:07 AM   #1

Default Powershot A70 AF/Softness Problems...Need Advice!

I've been considering the A70 as an addition to my old Olympus OM-1 for some time now as it seems the perfect choice for me in theory ; i.e. 3x optical, AF assist lamp, VGA movie mode with sound, compact, <$400, etc. I have noticed, however, a rather disturbing trend...in that nearly every post on this forum, IR, DCRP, DPreview, etc. pertaining to the A70 has been negative!

I am currently in High Shool and am working for minimum wage in a movie theater, so I can't really afford to screw this purchase up--I simply lack the funds. My questions, then, are how severe are these purported problems, and have any solutions been found?

I really, really like everything about this camera. It even feels right, but if the issues are so severe as to hinder its ability to take a good picture, obviously it isn't worth buying.

Would really appreciate some feedback!

Thanks,
ToK Knight
ToK Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2003, 6:50 PM   #2

Hi Tok, I bought the Canon A70 last Saturday, I have taken over 300 pics some of which where out of focus but the majority of them where quite good to excellent. Some pics where of course soft. But it all comes down to, for the price this cam kicks butt. I don't think you'll ever get the SO called perfect digi cam there are good & bads to all cameras. I really don't think you can go too wrong with the A70. Most stores have a policy if your not happy that you can return the product & get your money back. If you think of it this way you just can't go wrong & trying the Canon A70 for a week or so. Another suggestion is get a tripod IF your going to do macro shots as the focus is very sensitive, & can be out of focus unless you have steady hand.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:35 PM   #3

Thanks much. Best Buy has a decent return policy so I think I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it goes from there. Nothing will ever replace the OM-1 in my heart, but my neck sure could use a break. Anything I learn will be posted here.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:12 AM   #4
Lew

Default A70 Bad reviews

Greetings ToK Knight,

You mentioned every review you have heard on the A70 is a bad review. Can you refer me to some of those. I just bought an A70. So far I like it. But I want to try it out for a while before I decide to keep it.

I would like to read some of the reviews you refered to.

Thanks.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:43 PM   #5

Default Reviews on A70

Lew, I don't think he was speaking of reviews but rather posts about the A70, because all REVIEWS have been positive that I have read. I have seen bashing of just about every camera out there, there is NO so called PERFECT Digi cam.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 7:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToK Knight
Thanks much. Best Buy has a decent return policy so I think I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it goes from there. .
Actually, with DigiCams, BestBuy does not have a good return policy. You get 14 days, and they charge you a 15% re-stock fee, unless it's defective. (Or un-opened) Though I haven't tried, I'd imagine they'd simply give you another of the same model if you claim it's defective. I'd never buy a digicam there. Try Circuit City. Although they were one of the first to charge a 15% re-stock fee on cameras, they've apparently seen the light, and no longer do so. And the return period is 30 days. Sears is good too.
MarkZ2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 4:08 PM   #7

Correct. I had remembered my parents buying a dishwasher from them some time ago and returning it after about a week hassle-free for store credit, but apparently they're much more anal about electronics and (understandably) software. Circuit City and Sears were/are a little far away, however, and Best Buy had a slightly better deal. Got the camera for $338 and was offered 15% off the accessory total if I bought four (accessories), so I did a little mental math and picked up a card reader for $20, which ended up saving me $20 anyway. It isnít great, but hey, it was free ;-).

As for the camera I'm quite pleased. The softness is present but by no means terrible, and the minor mechanical issues (i.e. LCD flicker and clicking sounds) really donít get in the way of taking pictures. I would recommend using the camera in Program AE as opposed to Auto and setting the ISO yourself, as the camera is a little aggressive about raising it. Photo quality hardly stands up to my OM-1 loaded with good film, but is comparable to if not better than some of my friendsí/relativesí more expensive digicams, and is certainly nothing to balk at. Ultimately that 15% restocking fee isnít going to be a problem, because this camera is definitely a keeper.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 9:35 PM   #8

Default had the camera for over a month

Hey, just wanted to say a bit about this camera. I picked it up a little over a month ago, had a trip to Hawaii, I live in Japan, and I have very little on the negetive side. I've taken lots and lots of picture and almost all of them are great. I have had a few that were out of focus, but mostly because i didn't use the flash in low light. I've found ways to get better results too. Using the shutter priority or the f-stop priority can give amazing differences. I think this camera loves freshly charged batteries too: focus problems occur only when the batteries are past half way or so. The camera has so many advantages over the other models, and the price isn't too bad. good luck!
G.A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 11:06 AM   #9

I agree with G.A.P., when useing this camera in low light with auto setting and flash off, the camera will bring the ISO up and slow down the shutter speed. Which is what it should do, but that also means you need a very steady hand or a tripod or you will get blurry pics. Also the higher ISO will introduce noise into the pic. On film camera's with high ISO film you would get more grainy pics, which isn't always bad. But with digital you get noise which doesn't look very good. In Program and other modes you can set your ISO down to 50 and keep it there.
PSknr is offline   Reply With Quote