Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:57 AM   #21

Having an S2 myself, I don't believe it's user or setting error that is causing the picturesoftness. IMO, it's the camera. The S2 is a great camera for outdoor photography with natural light, specially if you increase in-camera sharpening. But, for indoors/low light shots, it's certainly not a good choice. The AF struggles and even though it eventually locks, the focus is not that accurate. If you use your camera to take lots of photos with flash, I suggest youset the ISO to AUTO (let the camera select whatever it needs to obtain the highest flash range), set WB to either AUTO or flash, set the IS to "shoot only" andAF mode to "Single".
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:23 PM   #22

The " vivid " setting does help.

Long Live the .....................

I can't not help my self.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:34 AM   #23

I own the S2 also and I get sharp pictures indoors in low light situations. I think some of it might be the camera and some might be the user (no disrespect intended MrGarmonboziaI think some of your shots are pretty good). I am still learning myself, the S2 is my first camera that gives me more options then just auto. I recently purchased this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059...Fencoding=UTF8 and it has helped me better understand the functions of the camera and when to use different settings to get better results. It is very handy, easy to readand fits in a camera bag.

To me the picture in thefirst post it looked like you pre-focused anticipating the kiss to happen before the couple came together. Causing the camera to focus on the flowers behind them. Then you pressed the shutter button when they started to come together causing them to blur (because they were moving and the shutter speed was to slow) but gettingthe flowers in focus.

The second picture would have been better if youwould havemoved the focus box as mentioned above.

The image of the bench in the snow would have been better if you switched to snow mode or maybe tired landscape mode and changed the metering or exposure.

Again these are just my opinions and I didn't mean any disrespect.
bkstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:50 AM   #24

I don't think any one can really contest that the S2 produces softer images than say the Pana Z5 or Sony H1, reason why there was so much talk about the "fog effect". I think these pictures were OK in terms of focus, otherwise, sharpening them like myself and pagerboy did would not have worked. When an image is out of focus, it's almost impossible to fix it, no matter what software editor you use. However, when the image lacks contrast (which appears to be the case here), then PS/PSE, Picasa amongst many other software can most likely help a great deal. No doubt that camera setting is very important in obtaining good results. I think the S3 will resolve this issue once and for all.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:11 AM   #25

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
No doubt that camera setting is very important in obtaining good results. I think the S3 will resolve this issue once and for all.
Let's hope so. I won't be getting the S3 I will probably wait for the S4 or 5 (or theequivalent at that time). The S2 will keep me happy for a while, plus give me time to learn.

MrGarmonbozia - Another forum I would recommend for Canon users is

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php?

I'm currently a member of about 5 photography forums. Every bit of advice is helpful.

As for Photo editing software I never tired Picasa but I have hadenjoyed using

PhotoFiltre http://www.photofiltre.com/ (I use this a lot)

and Gimp http://www.gimp.org/

but I mainly use Paint Shop Pro X.

Photo Plus also looksdecent http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/sof...us/default.asp

bkstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 5:51 PM   #26

I don't think we can use the soft-image excuse for every bad image.

I agree with bktysl, the first image is out of focus and his reasoning makes sense. And I do find that unsharp-mask can help with out of focus images. As I mentioned earlier, the second image is probably suffering from an inappropriate depth-of-field due to being an extreme zoom.

If the first is the fault of the camera, then the camera also has a separate focus problem (we do know that the S2 IS can miss-focus if there are no strong verticals - so the camera could be at fault). The second could be blamed on the camera if it has a poor automatic-mode (and some people say it has - but full auto on superzooms seems to be a common weak area - the camera would have to pretty smart).

Lastly, the manual says Vivid alters the contrast and saturation (doesn't mention sharpness at all). I find altering the brightness and contrast in post-processing makes a big difference - so I think boosting the contrast will produce better images as long as you don't mind overblown highlights.

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I don't think any one can really contest that the S2 produces softer images than say the Pana Z5 or Sony H1, reason why there was so much talk about the "fog effect". I think these pictures were OK in terms of focus, otherwise, sharpening them like myself and pagerboy did would not have worked. When an image is out of focus, it's almost impossible to fix it, no matter what software editor you use. However, when the image lacks contrast (which appears to be the case here), then PS/PSE, Picasa amongst many other software can most likely help a great deal. No doubt that camera setting is very important in obtaining good results. I think the S3 will resolve this issue once and for all.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:45 PM   #27

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
No doubt that camera setting is very important in obtaining good results. I think the S3 will resolve this issue once and for all.

Huh ? There is an " ISSUE " with the S2IS ? Imagine that !
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:25 PM   #28

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Tullio wrote:
Quote:

Huh ? There is an " ISSUE " with the S2IS ? Imagine that !

How is the Panny going for you Videosilva?
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:44 PM   #29

I'm happy with the FZ30. I'm not happy with the price. I still belive for $1000.00 I should be getting more but.......................... the manufacturer dictates the prices. Since this is still relatively new technology we will have to wait a few years for prices to lower.

At first I was not getting the pictures I belived this camera was capable of producing. After some reading and fine tunning a few settings I'm ALMOST there.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:02 AM   #30

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
I'm happy with the FZ30. I'm not happy with the price. I still belive for $1000.00 I should be getting more but.......................... the manufacturer dictates the prices. Since this is still relatively new technology we will have to wait a few years for prices to lower.

At first I was not getting the pictures I belived this camera was capable of producing. After some reading and fine tunning a few settings I'm ALMOST there.

hmm thats strange, there should have been price drops by then, 1000 for a panny seems quite premium to me. anyways, Glad to see your finally enjoying the hobby of photography as much as I am with the S2 =) by the way, what did you think of the albums on http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/wisely_foolish/

my first attempts at photography i guess tee hee hee

it would be nice to see a gallery of your pictures, especially the ones taken from your new panny =)
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote