Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:24 PM   #11

Thanks hawks. I've been using the Kingston Elite Pro 50x for a few days now, it's fast enough for lots of video. I have a Sandisk U II on the way.
guitarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:05 PM   #12

mchnz wrote:
Quote:
Transend 1GB 80x works fine for me. When I got it I did a low level format and it's been working fine for the past few weeks.
Same here.
captal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:30 PM   #13

I think I've been lucky with SD cards. I have many different digital cameras (Canon, Panasonic, Nikon and Kodak) that use SD cardsand have used many different SD cards (brands and sizes - Sandisk, EP Extreme Performance, Kingston and PNY varying from 128 Mb to 1 Gb) and have never everexperienced a read/write problem. Perhaps it's coincidental but here's what I've been doing:

1. I never format my cards, ever. Iplug them in the camera as they come from the manufacturer.

2. I swapthem between different cameras without reformatting them. Simply take from one cameraand putinto another.

3. I use a Sandisk card reader to download thepictures to my PC. Then, if I want to free up space on the card, I simply delete the pictures from the cardwhile its still in the card reader. Again, I do not clean up the card by reformatting it. There is no need to reformat your card unless it's giving youerrors andyoutry to fix it.

Good luck.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:56 PM   #14

I got a new Sandisk Extreme III 1GB today. It's way faster than the camera, which I was aware of. It's a nice product. Comes with ResvuePro s/w, and a nifty zippered case for holding SD cards. Works great in the S2 so far. I shot a full 9min video and the buffer indicator never even appeared. We'll see how it goes over the long haul.

One thing I've found with the S2 is it doesn't like it when memory cards are altered outside the camera, e.g. inan SD reader. I usually get "memory card error" when I do that. So I'm going to try to do the majority of writing/erasing in the camera.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
guitarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:24 PM   #15

Probably depends on the software you use and what you do with it. For example, I find I can delete images from digikam under Linux just fine. But don't dare create folders or shift stuff around.

guitarfish wrote:
Quote:
One thing I've found with the S2 is it doesn't like it when memory cards are altered outside the camera, e.g. inan SD reader. I usually get "memory card error" when I do that. So I'm going to try to do the majority of writing/erasing in the camera.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:36 AM   #16

I clean up my cards (deletepictures from them) byplacing the card in the card reader then I go to My Computer, open the card reader and the folder containing the pictures, highlight the ones I want to delete, right click on the mouse, select "delete" and they are gone! My S2 never complained about it once (neither did any of my cameras, ever). No need to use anysoftware. Now, I keep intactthe folders created by the camera, I only delete the JPEG files from within the folders. Like I said, I don;t even know what the card error message looks like.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:23 AM   #17

:|There are card repair software packages and services that will reformat them . Just do a search. I only have used old smartmedia cards but they sure didn't like any formating or erasing done by anything but the camera itself.
stevermaximus is offline   Reply With Quote