Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Sony DSC-P72 vs. Canon A70

I recently sold my Canon A40, and picked up an A70. After reading about it's softness issues, I picked up a Sony DSC-P72 also to compare. (And to evaluate for my sister. She needs a camera that can do a good job as a point-n-shoot.) Anyway, here's 2 images I took of my neighbors car with each camera, opinions please!

The Sony:
http://members.cox.net/markz2k/DSC00042.JPG

The A70
http://members.cox.net/markz2k/104_0491.JPG
MarkZ2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2

Default Evaluation

I have the A70 but I must amit that the Sony did a better pic . But when the pictures where taken did you take both pics in Auto mode or did you try various other modes such as P M portriot etc of both cameras. Picture seemed to be taken in similiar times but was the sun out both times or one cloudy the other full or partly cloudy.
A 70's seem to take better pictures when in P mode & center focus on. Take the pics again in different modes & send pics again I would be interested in seeing them. Just my 2cents CDN worth, & we all know what cdn moneys worth.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:22 AM   #3

Take a look at the review picture samples of the boat on this web site of both cameras.To me the A70 took a better picture, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:49 PM   #4

They were both done in auto mode, and were taken within a minute of each other. I think the color looks a bit better on the Canon. The sharpness/focus on the car itself is good with both, but the plant between the condos on the left of the car is much clearer with the Sony. It was a sunny, cloudless day.
MarkZ2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2003, 8:25 PM   #5

Mark, try taking the picture again with the A70 this time in P mode & set the ISO to 50 just to see if that makes a better pic especially
when it come to those plants you spoke of. It would be interesting to see if it makes much of a difference. Another member thinks that in Auto mode is too agressive when it comes to set the ISO.
He just might be on to something.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 4:44 PM   #6

The left side is definitely fuzzier with the Canon, but the _right_ side is _much_ clearer with the A70. I can see the leaves at the bottom of the tree quitely clearly with the A70, but the Sony doesn't have that side nearly as clear.

Of course, have the blast of water off the car on the left doesn't help either.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 6:06 PM   #7

Now depending with the 5-point AiAF that the canon has could be why the right side is more clearer. I haven't been any to quite figure out how the camera's autofocus works with its in the 5-point mode, but thats just a guess.

I set mine to centre focus... and away I went!
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:28 PM   #8

ok :-)
I would like to buy canon a70, but i need some things in it, the MP in this camera is ok for me, but i would like to have this quite economic( i buy 256mb card to it to have more place for pic) but i need quite good movie mode ( would like to make some samplers of backflips and so one ( i need quite fast fps in camera). Is this canon a70 quite good for me? ( btw: i can pay max 400-450 $ for it with card)
husak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:47 AM   #9

If you check out the canon a70 review at dcresource.com there should be a sample movie near the end.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:26 PM   #10

this one movie i know i was wondering where can be some others, but thx any way
husak is offline   Reply With Quote