Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 4, 2006, 10:57 PM   #11

Are you guys sure the H1 will be fast enough for sports? Just read a couple other Internet reviews giving the S2 the clear nod over the H1 for this. That S2's autofocus was kind of pokey from what I saw...and the smaller screen is a bit annoying with all the big new screens out now.
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 1:16 AM   #12

What kind of sports are you thinking about? The H1 has indeed a disadvantage over the S2 as far as speed is concerned. The S2 goes up to 1/3200 while the H1 reaches only 1/1000. However, keep in mind thatmost action freeze at 1/500. So, do you really need 3200? Now, to state that the S2 is a clear winner, hummm not sure. The S2 may be faster but the results are most of the time, disappointing. The images appear out of focus and very soft so having a fast shutterwill not suffice. I'm very open minded in terms of cameras. I have a Pana LZ2, a Canon S2, Sony H1, Nikoncoolpix 4200and Kodak DX6440. Each has goods and bads. I'm not a hard core anything andIMO, the H1 is by far a better camera than the S2 (not to say that the S2 does produce some excellent images). If you go to the Sony forum andreadwhat users have to say about the H1vs.users talking about the S2 here, you'll quickly seewhat I mean.Well, I believe we exhausted the subject, haven't we?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:10 AM   #13

agreed. thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:05 PM   #14

Hi, I do a lot of cropping with my pictures. Do you think 5 mp on the H1 is enough...our should I wait for the H5 to come out? Just called Sony, June 9th is the date. Sales & Tech Support couldn't tell me much...just that the zoom is the same speed as the H1. It does have greater "Smart Zoom" which supposedly works very well. Also has (they say) a better lens with the Carl Zeiss, 3" screen, higher ISO settings. When do those higher ISO numbers matter? In real low light?

Wow, looking at these photos...I'd go with the H1!:

http://www.dcresource.com/specials/S2_vs_H1/index.shtml

Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:20 PM   #15

The amount of MP should be determined by your needs. How big of prints do you expect to obtain? I think 5 MP is good enough for 8x10 enlargements or even 9X11. Anything bigger than that you will start noticing image deterioration. The quality of the H1 images is incredible. I crop the heck of some shots and still get clear results. Yes, the H5 comes equipped with the CZ lens but to be honest, I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make because the H1 lens is pretty darn good. More MP does not necessarily mean better images, on the contrary. Unless the sensor is larger, the more MP the worse the image. The other down side of having more MP is amount of memory space each picture takes, forcing you to go withmuch larger memory cards if you don't want to run out of space after a few shots. These are all things to consider. Last but not least, when you buy the latest and greatest, you pay the price. A $500 camera will cost you less than $400 if you wait 6 months or less than $300 after a year (that's what you pay for the H1 these days). I was under the impression that the H2/H5 were being released some time in April, not June. Hummm....
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:30 PM   #16

I know. Actually the H2 is April 14th...but the H5 is June 9th. Mainly would print standard size prints...rarely do I enlarge to 5x7 or 8x10. But when I get an awesome shot, it's nice to have the option.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:44 PM   #17

It's a high price to pay just to have the option. You can actually obtain larger prints with a 5MP image as long as you don't crop. Although theoretically you start loosing resolution once you increase the size over 9x11, it is not that significant unless you want some 20Xwhatever. How's your budget? If you have the money and want to wait, get the H5. If not, buy the H1. I'd pass on the H2 since 1 extra MP is not going to make much difference and you loose on the size of the LCD. The H1 is a wonderful camera. Check the Sony forum if you want to hear what other users have to say about it. I have not read one single bad review.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:53 PM   #18

I don't see myself printing anything bigger than 9x11. But I do a lot of cropping. Budget is not an issue...so I think I'll wait for the H5.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:13 PM   #19

It sounds like a good way to go if budget is not an issue. You'll get2 extra MP, larger LCD with double the resolution, higher ISO (800 and 1000)and the CZ lens.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:15 PM   #20

Just read this article:

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...om/index1.html

Do you know anything about the Panasonic FZ30?