Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1

Which memory card will yield the fastest performance for the Powershot S3 IS and which rechargeable batteries do you think hold a charge the longestt? Thanks in advance your help.

-D
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:49 PM   #2

Hi dmargolis, the new Poweshot S3is, out soon, looks very tempting but too expensive for me, I'm about to purchase a Powershot A610 instead.

Anyway, to answer your questions, 1st, don't go bonkers spending too much. But, if I was buying a S3is I would go for NiMh 2500 mAh capacity batteries, they are quite cheap now andshould last a long longtime, get a spare set too.As for the memory I would get a Sandisk UltraII1gb SD card. Get a 1gb card, it will work out cheaper.

I hope this info is usufull. I hope others will agree!

oooooo....enjoy your S3is when you get it!!!

Ady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:22 PM   #3

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:04 PM   #4
mrb

I just got a Canon S2 IS and I think I made a great choice (haven't used it much yet). Many on these forums also have good reviews of the S2. IMHO, as well as others here, the improvements on the S3 are not enough to make it worth the extra money. Also, the S3 has not been reviewed by users yet since ithas not been released. I paid $320 for the S2 at Dell, and the S3 will probably be about $475...? If money were no object, I may have waited for the S3. If you have not ordered yet, it seems that Butterfly Photo has fair ratings, and dbuy (or buydig) and beach camera have good ratings; all with good prices on the S2. Looks like there aren't many sellers with the S3 yet.

To get back on topic,I ordered a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB card ($72 at Amazon after rebate), since the extra storage and speed should be good for burst photos and movie mode. The cheapest I found the San Disk Ultra II 1 GB at a reputable seller was $47, so I figure the 2 GB is cheaper per MB. Since I didn't have any SD cards, I also got a cheaper 512 MB PNY card to get me started with the camera ($5 at staples after rebate and coupon), and I'll use it as aback-up/extra storage.

I haven't got batteries yet, but after doing some research, it appears that the Powerex, Energizer, and Sanyo 2500 mAH cells are very highly rated. I will probably order bartteries and Maha charger from Thomas Distributing. Steve rates them quite highly here on this forum.

Well, I don't have a lot of experience, but I did a lot of research on-line asking the experts like people on these forums. So, take my opinion for what it's worth, and Good Luck!

mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 8:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice..I love Steve's forums. I went back and forth with deciding on whether to get the S2 with the low pricing due to the S3's upcoming arrival...or go with the new kid on the block. Finally got to shoot bunch of photos yesterday with my father-in-law's S2 at my kid's soccer game, and the pix came out great. That zoom is incredible. That soccer field is huge and it's like you're right there at the farthest points...in the thick of the action.

Decided to go with the S3, though typically I hate paying full sticker, because simply "I want it." Though the lcd is only slightly larger, I want it. Bit annoying best they could do was the 1.8" on the S2. Hopefully the S4 will bump it up even more like the Sonys. I also read a review on a British photography site "Let's Go Digital" which said the 6 mp and higher ISO options significantly reduce"noise".

Other things that look cool, the 16:9 aspect ration photo option, the ability to use "My Colors" after the shot has been taken, etc.

I will say, and I don't have any experience with long lens cameras, the auto-focus was a bit slow on the Canon. I hope it's a bit faster on the S3, but in fairness, I didn't have the manual or know every nuance of the camera. I'd read on Steve's and other sites that the Sonys have quicker auto-focus..BUT the Canon S2 has much faster zoom action, much faster than the Sony H1. I tried them both out many times at Best Buy & Circuit City.

My current camera (Sony DSC-P10) is 5 megapixels. I'd like my new camera (which I'm paying a premium for) to have more...plain and simple.

Looking forward to reading Steve's review.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:45 PM   #6

Before you actually buy the S3, check out the Sony H5. It has the same price tagplus7 MP, 3" LCD, it only takes 2 AA, it's equipped w/ Carl Zeiss lens, ISO up to 1000, 32 Mb internal memory...

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:45 PM   #7

Thanks. I may do that. I was leaning towards the Canon because of the flip out screen, and movie mode with zoom. I don't think the new Sonys have such a movie mode. I'm guessing the Canon's zoom is faster partially because it's driven by 4 batteries as opposed to 2. It has more "juice" to draw from.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:57 PM   #8

The time you save zooming w/ the S3(if indeed you do save some milliseconds), you loose on focusing (unless Canon really improved the AF on the S3 as compared to the S2). No swivel LCD on H5 but a much bigger one instead (3" vs. 2" on the S3). To be honest, I don't find this feature to be that helpfulspecially when youuse the full range of the zoom. It gives you no stability and camera shake becomes a problem (even though the camera has an IS system).As for movies, I'm pretty sure the H5 does not allow zooming in movie mode but since I don't usually use my still cameras as movie cameras, to me this featureis not a biggy.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:26 PM   #9

You know, again, you have a point. The autofocus on the S2 was pretty slow when taking pictures at my daughter's soccer game. Maybe I should look for a deal on a Sony H1. I'm sure I could get a great deal with the new models just arriving...and I already have a gig's worth of memory sticks. hmmm. I'll have to check out the new Sonys.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:47 PM   #10

I love my H1 (I also have the S2 but it does not get close to the H1). You can find the H1 for $300 or less. That's the way to go! Check the Sony forum for more info.