Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:55 AM   #1

Hi all!

I'm very confused on what to get! I used to have a canon A510 and man I loved it! It was such an awesome camera. But at 3.2 mega pixels it had its limitations.

So now...upgrade time. It was up to me! I would get canon E0S mark 2 in a second, but unfortunately I don't have 7 grand lying around.

I really want high quality photos, yet the price is always on my hand, but I narrowed it down to two

The Fuji e900
or
Canon A620

I'm really a canon man in heart, but that 9.24 mega pixels is making my head turn the other way! Can anyone help me decide or point me in directions of a camera that they might think is better?

Confused! :?

Zee
Zeeshan0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2

As with any camera, they all have their goods and not-so-good features and that applies to the A620 and E900 as well. I always ask people to look at their needs first, make a priority list (say 5-7 most importantitems) and then use the list tomakethe final decision. With regards to these two cameras and without knowing your priorities,here's what I think:

1.If you make large prints ordo massive cropping of your pictures, the decision is easy. Go with the E900 which has2 more MP. The E900 also has a largersensor (for obvious reasons) but the point here is that many camera manufacturersincrease the amount of MP for marketing reasonswithout increasing the sensor, resulting in poorer quality images.

2. If you take lots of pictures in low light, again go with the E900, which offers a higher ISO.

3. If you want to post process pictures to your liking, the E900 shoots in RAW mode while the A620 does not.

4. Batteries is something important to me. I despise cameras with proprietary batteries to the point where it becomes one of the most important factors in thedecision making process. Although both of these cameras use AA, the E900 takes only two while the A620 takes 4. They both take about the same number of pictures comparatively speaking so the E900 advantage is more with regards to its weight, which is less, of course.

5. If you are on a tight budget, the A620 is about $50cheaper.

6. If you like to take macro pictures, the A620 can get you much, much closer to the subject.

7. Since you already have the A510, you also have SD cards. The E900 takes xD memory cards, so you'd have to spend money on memory card as well.

8. The A620 has a swivel LCD, which can be pretty handy when you want to photograph something that is in an awkward position.

I believe all other differences are very minor and pretty much irrelevant. To be honest, I'm not very familiar with the Fuji cameras in terms of imagequality, reliabilityand operability. The reviews rate the A620 at the top while the E900 is #7. Keep in mind that many companies have to pack up a lot more features into their products in orderbe competitive. If the E900 was very close to the A620 in most areas, it would be a no brainer, correct? You'd go for the A620, no questions asked. dcresource gives the E900 a low score (see link below), but Jeff Keller is a Canon guy and I find him very biased towards Canon cameras. I have an A610, which I hardly use since I bought my Sony H1 and the Canon S2 but I'm must say, I was very impressed withthe picture quality it produces. So I'd recommend the A620.

http://www.viewscore.com/product_pag...3&str=a620
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:56 PM   #3

thanks Tullio,

That was a very detail analysis. I think the 620 might be the road i want to travel with. I'm more about quality shots, and i do take a lot of macro shots as well. I was impressed on what tchuanye did with the reverse macros! And that was with a 610! I am going to get the lense adapter and look into some lenses.

Zee

Zeeshan0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:09 PM   #4

You're welcome. You can't go wrong with the A620. I believe the 6nn series is one of the best Canon ever produced.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote