Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:08 PM   #1
Ann

Default S400 or A70

I've used a Pentax point and shoot for years and am buying my first digicam. I think the A70 will offer me the opportunity to "grow" a bit, and its size is fine for travel. But the S400 is 4MP, and since I like to print 5x7s, I can crop more with it to compensate for the lack of 4x optical zoom. Any advice? And since the complaint with both is often softness, does one have the advantage in that regard? Many thanks for the help.
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:14 AM   #2

as to the cropping to make up for lack of 4 time optical zoom, I'd get the a70 and an add-on lense so you'd actually have at least a 4 time zoom.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:21 AM   #3
Ann

Default Picture quality

That's a possibility. But I'm most concerned about picture quality. I've read reviews, etc., till I'm blue in the face, and I would love to hear from somebody who has seen results from both cameras. Many thanks.
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 2:58 AM   #4

Ann,

I know what you mean about reading reviews till you're blue in the face.. Just went through the same dilemna.

Eventually went for the smallest camera, which seems to have very good quality - the S400. In my eyes, it beat some of the 5MP's!
As far as comparison, I'm unable to help, but from what I've seen and heard the S400 comes out pretty much on top, especially for lack of red eye, and its auto focus assistance lamp. Plus movie (+ audio) mode was important to me.

I've been using the S400 over the last few days, and its brilliant.
As far as which camera actually has better quality - tt seems to be all personal preference.. One person says this, one says that.

Go with your gut feeling! Happy snapping!
cbtsmelb is offline   Reply With Quote