Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:39 PM   #1

Hello folks,
I'm looking to buy a Canon A610 -- looks like it's pretty much universally loved, it's hard to find a bad word about it, and it suits my needs and budget.

But I can't find information about "what if something goes wrong"

How do you all find Canon USA's service? Have they ever refused you help?

Would you recommend that I buy an extended warranty to supplement? If so, from where?
I'm leaning towards avoiding that, because in a few years everything will be smaller better faster cheaper anyway... I probably won't want a replacement... and ext. warranties are expensive. still, I'm not rich and $200 is a lot of money for me and I'd like to be able to use this camera for at least five years or more.
Hmm...
y
bluesdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:38 AM   #2
TC3

Correct....each year cameras get better and smaller. The A610 will be pretty basic and outdated in a few good years it is likely you will want better technology to improve your picture taking. In view of this just stick with the original warranty. Spend what you save on sd cards or whatever!
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

If I spend more than 300 on a camera for example, I tend to get the extended warrenty (as long as the price is reasonable), as I tend to upgrade every two years. Reselling is a bit easier when it's still warrentied.

But typically though.. I think if anything is going to go wrong with it, it will happen in the first 1-6 months.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4

I have got one, and I am very happy with it.

Just be careful with the e18 error though -

Make sure the store will honour the warranty, because Canon will not be of much help.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5

There are errors and problems with ANY camera out there. Canon is one of the highest selling, and largely discussed. Problems along with praise of any camera can be found. The more popular a camera, the more it's dicussed.. you get the point.

As for warrenty directly with a manufactuer.. I've only dealt with a small handful for warrenties on items. Panasonic, which has a local repair shop, so that was simple.. it was for a cd player ages ago.. I tend to buy electronics from places that will honour a manufacturer warrenty. For example. I have 3 yrs on my Canon S2. I paid for an addition 2 yrs on it. The store I bought it from carries over the manufact. 1st yr, by having it repaired locally by their repairshop. Only if it's something they can't fix is it sent to the manufac. and they take care of all of it.

It is my understanding that if the store didn't take care of it, it would be the buyers responsability to ship the item (at their expense) directly to the manufact. and then wait to hear the verdict. So even that first year being covered directly from whom I purchased the camera from is beneficial to me. My time is too precious to be worrying about tracking and playing tag with info on a broken camera.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:17 AM   #6

AHHHHHH extended warranties

The source of over half our complaints are ppl who think the consumer guarentees act makes them the centre of the universe, and they have the cheak to joke about it when they refuse to pay the bit extra for it

We have so many ppl who have fallen to suppliers who dont care after teh manufacturers warranty has expired and so they shouldnt. Wats the point of a warranty if its rules aint honoured. If it was as easy to get out of warranty service by yelling and acreaming then its misleading to the ppl who use their sense and buy warranties.

Like mentioned by anohter memeber if its a semi expensive cam (over $R300usd) then ofcourse as long as the warranty is a decent price then go for it. Digicams are on of the most expensive consumer products out there. You dont want to get sucked in.

I bought a 5year warranty for my fz30. I couldnt leave the shop without tht peace of mind. If it faulted a few mnths out of warranty i would be to embarressed to tel anyone as they would think im such an idiot for not buying the warranty

corry bit of the subject but i would say if the cam is semi expensice and think of it as peace of mind and a guarentee of 5 years trouble free cam time

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:55 PM   #7

thanks for the thoughts
bluesdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:18 AM   #8
TC3

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
I bought a 5year warranty for my fz30. I couldnt leave the shop without tht peace of mind. If it faulted a few mnths out of warranty i would be to embarressed to tel anyone as they would think im such an idiot for not buying the warranty

ken

I do not know anyone who would use the same digicam for over 3 years let alone 5 but i guess not everyone needs the latest and greatest

Speak for yourself but i would feel no embarressment if that situation happened to me. Who gives a monkey what people think of you???
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:48 AM   #9

hey np thts ur opinion. Risky but ur opinion.

our company sells this, so i for one knows itis worth every penny atleast twice over as we have seen some huge claims come through.

wish you the best of luck with your electrics

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:59 AM   #10

My opinion on exteneded warranties is that they are not worth it. If I had bought an extended warranty for all the equipment I have had, I could pretty much buy a new camera by now. Chances that something goes wrong are somewhat slim. Canon is pretty good about warranties and repairs. If something really goes wrong after your warranty, you can pay for the repair, and in the long run still come out better than if you bought an extended warranty for all your cameras. Many people think otherwise, so it's up to you. If it makes you feel better, and it's a good price, maybe you should go for it.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote