Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 12, 2003, 1:39 AM   #1

Default How A70 handles low light indoor conditions??

Hi all!

I was finnaly making my mind upon going for the A70 instead of a Sony P72, when i started to read some old posts from this forum complaining about A70 lack of quality on low-lighted indoor enviromnets....

thats basically the SAME reason why i gave up the P72: i tested a P7 for a few days and found that it produces excellent pictures, as long as you're not indoors and in a low light room, where the pics will look dull, noisy, grainy and lacking definition. Also, overall, the sony is a bit dead on the colors. they tend to look washed out.

I was happily geared towards the recently discovered A70, just to find out on this forum that it seems to suffer from the SAME problem, that was called here "softness"....

So, i'd like to hear from A70 users how bad the camera is under low light enviroments, indoor pics. 99,99% of my pics will be taken indoors, at light, in low light envionments (kids).

Any URL with samples of the so called softness issue would also be appreciated!!

thanks a lot!

marcelo
maafbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:16 PM   #2

Our A60 works perfectly in low light (with flash when needed).

With its focus assist lamp it focuses in pitch black and the flash then gives a perfect picture.
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 1:02 AM   #3

hi there, wblynch!'

thanks for replying!!

would you mind if i ask if you havent experienced so far, specially under low-light conditions, the so called "softness" of this camera??

many people here and on some reviews complain that the camera has a very sensitive focusing, and most pictures look out of focus, 'shaken", specially in low light enviroments. the detailing under these conditions lack some sharpenness.

have u ever tried taking pictures in those conditions?? did u notice that kind of "softening"??

thanks a lot for any comments....

PEACE!

marcelo
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:44 PM   #4
SSD

Hi
I just ordered the Canon A70. I had made up my mind but then started reading bad reviews about the A70, so I decided to take a CF card to Best Buy. The salesperson let me put the card into my cameras of choice and take some shots. I tried the A70, Nikon Coolpix 3100, and the Canon S50. I then went to Walmart and had the pics printed within 5 minutes so I could check out the quality.
Surprisingly, the S50 pics did not come out well. The shots from the A70 were superior to the Coolpix 3100. The pics from the coolpix had a glowing edge around my son and were not well lit and focused. The shots from the A70 were sharp and in focus and the lighing was much better(I guess due to the low light focus lamp?)
To make sure, I went to Circuit City and did the test with the 3100 again (they did not have the A70 in stock), the pics from the 3100 were subpar so I decided to order the Canon A70.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 8:38 PM   #5

Thank you very much, SSD!!

Your input just decided me to go for the A70 too. I supose you shot the pics on both stores using the defaul settings on all cameras, so probably with some custom changes, 5 point focus off, iso50, etc, they would put out even better pics.

thanks again for the help!

Peace for us all and health to your son!

marcelo
Old Apr 14, 2003, 1:41 PM   #6

Hi Marcelo,

Canon cameras are famous for a certain amount of "softness". But softness and focus are not exactly the same thing. That understood, our A60 always seems to get a great focus lock.

I also realize that there seems to be a bit of manufacturing variance in the Canon A60/A70 line.

We got two A60's and their serial numbers are one digit apart! It turns out that all the complaints I have read, from fuzzy viewfinders and dead pixels, to poor low-light performance and "staticy" lcd display, did not show up in either of our cameras.

For reference, we have only used Maxell 1850 mah rechargeable Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries so far. I am getting the impression that the A60/A70 wants strong batteries.

-Bill L.
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 7:49 PM   #7
SSD

Maafbh
I just got my Canon A70 by FedEx a few hours ago!!!! I love it! I immediatly put my 256MB CF and 2000Mah rechargables in it and started taking pictures. So far So good. The indoor pics are well lit and focused (this impresses me because I just had several light bulbs burn out, and the house is not to terribly bright). Good luck!

I took the pics in the store on the 3MP fine mode on the A70 and the largest file on the 3100. I am not trying to bash the 3100. I initially fell in love with it and loved the size and simplicity. It was the camera I originally wanted for a smaller camera, but low light focus assist was a requirement for me and the picture quality was by far the most important. Since I take a lot of pics indoors I opted for the A70. I would advise trying them out like I did if you have a CF card you can take with you. I used a starter card from a camera we purchased 3 years ago and it worked fine for my experiment.
Good Luck and Take Care!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 9:18 PM   #8

Default Ahh, the focus

hey, I got the A70 about month or so ago. I don't know it my model is different (i don't think so) because I purchased it in Japan, but I have had very few problems.

I think the focus problems people are talking about have to do with 2 things. First in low if you take a picture without the flash in one of the auto mode the camera is going to give you a slow shutter time and without a tripod, a very shakey picture. With the flash the pictures come out clear. Second, the camera has many focus areas that are highlighted in little green boxes on the lcd. Before fully pressing down the shutter make sure that the little green box is on what you want in focus; if it isn't repress the shutter halfway and it changes focus. Once its locked in on what you want press the shutter release button. Presto.

On the down side the camera has a very powerful flash. Sometimes too powerful. It can be fixed by going into manual mode and turning it down, and/or turning down the exposure compensation a bit. Its not a big problem, but happens sometimes.

Another great way to get clear pictures at night without using the flash or a tripod it switching the camera to shutter speed mode or f-stop mode and messing around a bit. It takes 5 seconds to do and you can get amazing pictures in low light with no flash.

Over all this is a great camera, with the fewest problems of any of the cameras i've looked at .
G.A.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 5:29 AM   #9

Default Any answers from Canon?

Does anyone know if Canon has posted any comments or updates regarding to the problems with focus, low light etc? Is there any easy way for me as a user to check if my cam has the problems?

Regards,
Fredrik
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote