Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:17 PM   #1

i checked on Canon site new digital cameras announced in february(a430,a540,a700,s3is, etc) and found out that they all had CCD size 1/2.5". Canon has stopped to produced cameras with larger sensor or is it done for marketing reasons?
in fact i would be highly iterested in camera like A700 but with 1/1.8 sensor
ioandrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:30 AM   #2
TC3

I havethe A540 with the new sensor.....great image quality with less noise....why go back to the larger sensor?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:38 PM   #3

ioandrei wrote:
Quote:
i checked on Canon site new digital cameras announced in february(a430,a540,a700,s3is, etc) and found out that they all had CCD size 1/2.5". Canon has stopped to produced cameras with larger sensor or is it done for marketing reasons?
in fact i would be highly iterested in camera like A700 but with 1/1.8 sensor

It's the trend, grab the A610/A620 when you still can.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

The 1/1.8 Sensor is more expensive to produce, and since the vast majority of people are not demanding photographers - using the smaller sensor saves Canon money.

In case you have not realised, the A430 uses a 1/3.2 Sensor, which is even worse.

If you like, grab the Canon Digital IXUS 750, which is an excellent 7.1 MP camera, with a 1/1.8 Sensor.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:55 AM   #5
Ham

The faster I go the behinder I get. Or, the more I read the more confused I get. I admit I get hung up on specs. And this sensor size really has me confused.

What is the biggest? 1/2.5" or 1/1.8"

These are strange measurments. I understand 1/4", 3/4", 11/2" (one and one-half).

How can one and two-point-five inches be smaller than one and one-point-eight inches? One is one, 2.5 is bigger than 1.8. Or, have I missed something in my engineering math classes?

I want the best image I can get in one of these Canon cameras.

Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:24 AM   #6
Administrator

Ham wrote:
Quote:
What is the biggest? 1/2.5" or 1/1.8"

These are strange measurments. I understand 1/4", 3/4", 11/2" (one and one-half).

How can one and two-point-five inches be smaller than one and one-point-eight inches? One is one, 2.5 is bigger than 1.8. Or, have I missed something in my engineering math classes?
They're fractions.

1/2.5" = 0.4"

1/1.8" ~= 0.556"

That's not the actual sensor size, though. The measurement system is based on an old standard used for video tube diameters. The actual sensor sizes are even smaller. But, using the published type/size spec is useful for comparing them.

You really need to take each sensor on a case by case basis, though. Improvements are being made in things like microlens design to help amplify light hitting each photosite on the sensor.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:10 PM   #7

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
I havethe A540 with the new sensor.....great image quality with less noise....why go back to the larger sensor?
Do you know ifthey actually improvedthe new sensor for less noise or are they cleaning the photo up with in camers software?
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:24 PM   #8

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
In case you have not realised, the A430 uses a 1/3.2 Sensor, which is even worse.

If you think thats small, look up the sensor size of the A410. It's something like 1/3.7.TheA430 isalso the only camera other than the S3IS (stayed the same) that has a sensor of equal or greater size than it predecessor.

Can anyone give an comparison between a the size of a full frame sensor and and 1/3.2 or 1/3.7 size sensor?
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:37 PM   #9
Ham

Thanks for the answers to clear up this sensor size for me. I can see absolutely no relationship between those published size numbers and the actul sizes you give, but that is due to my ignorance of the digital lingo. It is hard for me to abandon my "bigger is better" way of thinking because of my film experience (6X7 compared to 35mm). I appreciate your help and answers.

I think I must base my choice on the features I decide would suit my use the best; such aswhether the camera will fit in ashirt pocket, whether I decide I cannot live without the swivel LCD screen of the 610 or 620, whether I can put up with the slowness of the Canon compared to a Sony DSC W5 or DSC W7, or the lure of the 6X zoom on the Canon 700.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote