Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:42 PM   #1

The guy at Best Buy said that the SD600 is "supposed" to be faster since it's the newest model. I know there's ONE MP difference between the two but are there any other differences?

I'm needing something compact for family pictures around the house and on trips, etc. Something quick enough to capture fast moving kids and also good in low light situations.

I've read good things about the SD 550 but now I'm thinking the SD700 would be a good option too (if it'll ever get in the stores). I like the idea of a 4x zoom with IS since our current camera isPansonic FZ3 with 12x opt zoom and IS.

I'll miss the long zoom but would like more MP's and something more compact. I took some great shots with our Pany camera... some I wish I could have blown up to at least a 12x14 but was limited due to only 3 MP.

Any suggestions?
TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:20 PM   #2
Administrator

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
I'll miss the long zoom but would like more MP's and something more compact. I took some great shots with our Pany camera... some I wish I could have blown up to at least a 12x14 but was limited due to only 3 MP.
I have not compared the cameras you're looking at. But, I will comment on the prints.

Have you tried printing the images you wish you could blow up at larger sizes?

I asume you mean 11x14 (a standard print size here in the U.S.) versus 12x14.

Your Panasonic DMC-FZ3 outputs an image size of 2016 x 1512 pixels.

After cropping for the correct ratio of width to height for an 11x14 inch print, you'd have about 137 pixels per inch of detail. That's really not that far off for what you'd need to help prevent pixelation.

The lens on the DMC-FZ3 is good enough that this camera resolves as much detail as many 4 Megapixel models.

I'd interpolate one of the images and give it a try if I were you. You may be surprised at how large you can go, depending on the image.

Have you got image editing software that will let you crop for the correct ratio of width to height? I'd do that first, then interpolate the image back up some. Doubling it would be an easy way.

Download Irfanview (it's free). Open an image and go to Image, Resize/Resample.

You'll see a resize method drop down list. Select Lanczos and click on the Double button you'll find to double the number of pixels.

Interpolation won't increase detail captured. It adds pixels to the image, based on the values of adjacent pixels, using a relatively complex method (Lanczosis a good one to try first).Interpolation can prevent pixelation if larger print sizes are needed, and your images already have enough detail.

In other words, don't get too caught up in the Megapixel hype. I'll take a good 3 Megapixel image to a blurry 12 Megapixel image, any day of the week. ;-)

If you don't want to mess with the details toget best results, give QImage Pro a try. Itcaninterpolate the images to best match the printer being used for the desired print size.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:11 PM   #3

Thanks Jim - what a wealth of knowledge!

To be honest, we're also going on a trip to Mexico soon and I'd really like to have something more compact than the FZ3... if you recall, the FZ3 has a pretty large lense that does NOT retract into the camera body. It's a compact camera as far as super zooms go... but much bulkier than a lot of the pocket cams on the market today.

And yes, the FZ3 is a great 3 mp camera! But I'm such a newbie with digital cams, I really don't know how (nor have the time) to do post production work with my shots. I'm a busy mom of 3 and want to do as little work at this possible - but yet still want great quality shots.

I accidentally had my FZ3 set on the 2 mp setting when we went to the beach last summer. And I ended up getting one of the best shots I've ever taken - of my daughter seeing the ocean for the first time. I blew it up to just a 5x7 but would have loved much bigger.

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:27 PM   #4
Administrator

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
I accidentally had my FZ3 set on the 2 mp setting when we went to the beach last summer. And I ended up getting one of the best shots I've ever taken - of my daughter seeing the ocean for the first time. I blew it up to just a 5x7 but would have loved much bigger.
I've got 8x10" prints from 2 Megapixel images that have been cropped some.

You can go 8x10" from 2 Megapixels, even without any post processing (but, if you crop, you'd need to interpolate, as 2 Megapixels is cutting it a bit close for an 8x10).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:22 AM   #5

i know that it's supposed to be released in april of this year, but i think amazon says it will be availabe on may 20, 2006.

does anyone know when the sd700 will be available?
scuzm is offline   Reply With Quote