Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:12 PM   #1

Hello all. I realize this might be more of a which camera should I buy topic but thought Canon owners here in this section could give better info. I was set on the A620 as my first foray into digicams but the SD500 and its size caught my eye. What are the pros and cons of the 500 vs the 620? Basically how much am I sacrificing in image quality and options to save the smaller size with the SD500? The more I read the harder this choice gets. Thanks.
uglybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:11 PM   #2

More manual control with the A620 and a lot of people seem to really like the swivel screen. I own an SD500 because size was the most important issue to me. The SD500 or Casi0 750Z were the absolute largest cameras for me. I wanted one that would fit in a shirt pocket and that I could take anywhere without it being at all obtrusive. There has been some talk about LCDs breaking easily on the early SD series cameras. I dropped mine while hiking and it landed LCD face down on the trail with no damage. Be aware that sometimes the SD500's have an annoying background hum that you can hear on their video clips. I believe that the LCD and video hum was fixed with the SD550.

outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

I'm really not concerned with video as I have a Elura 80 for that. The LCD on the 620 seemed kinda...well cheap? I don't know it wasn't as clear as I'd expected. Can you manipulate exposure on the 500? Ya know to get those cool waterfall and headlight shots? I think I'm gonna go with the 620 but if someone wants to try and sell me on the 500 go right ahead. Any potential problems with the A line or prevelant issues? Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

Other than the presets, you can adjust Exposure Compensationand there is a Long shutter mode. But you cannot manually adjust both Shutter Speed and Aperture with the SD500. If small size is not a big priority for you and you like to experiment with manual settings, then you may be happier with the A620.
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:34 PM   #5

Alright. My A620 is on the way from the egg. Comes with a 512 sd card. I want to get a 2 gb card but don't know if this is a good card or not. Corsair 133x 2gb for 60 then minus a 20 rebate. Sounds fair right?

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...IL=TH&NR=1