Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:25 PM   #1

Hi,

I was reading the recent Steve review for Canon A700. One of the things I was not considering buying the A700 is that it does not have a Waterproof case for it. At least, it is not mentioned in the Canon site, and also it does not have the appropriate Underwater lightbalance setting.

However, Ibecameconfused reading the Steve review (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../a700_pg2.html) and noting that the Canon WP-DC60, originally made for A520/A510,might be used also with the A700. I want to be sure of that, because it is a crucial decision for me to decide to buy this camera or not (I mean, I want to use the camera when I dive).

I didn't find an e-mail to write to the authors of the review, that is the reason Iam askingfor your helphere.

Even if the light balance does not have an underwater setting (like in A620 or A610), can we use the WP-DC60 case with the A700and use all its functionality?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

mazzuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:30 PM   #2
TC3

You could just get the A540 instead?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

Hi Tc3,

if I can use it underwater, I would prefer the A700 instead.

Daniel
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:20 PM   #4
Administrator

That is an older pic, the WP-DC60is not for the A700. I haven't found out which case it is yet - sorry. I am fairly (but not absolutely) sure it has the Underwater scene mode so it should have a case soon but please don't base a purchase decision on this - I am not 100% sure.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:51 PM   #5

Thank You Steve,

As far as I know, I am 90% sure the A700 does not support underwater scene, white balance, etc. On the contrary, the A610 and A620 do. A big difference for people who want to take pictures underwater.

Thank you again,

Daniel
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:03 AM   #6
TC3

The A700 does not have the underwater scene mode which seems pretty odd really
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:11 AM   #7
Puh

*sigh*

I had my hopes up too, for a second, after seeing a waterproof case for the PowerShot A700 mentioned in Steve's review...

I called Canon's customer service in Japan and this is what they had to say:

1) "There is no waterproof case for the A700 at the moment"
2) "Canon has never released a waterproof case AFTER the release of the camera it is for"

So basically what the friendly guy told me is, whilst he can't look into the future, it is a safe bet to forget about a waterproof case for the A700.

I'm getting a A620 now, although I would have much preferred the A700, which is lighter, has a bigger LCD (thankfully not vari-angle) and a higher sensitivity CCD.
No case tho - bummer !
Puh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:43 PM   #8

I just saw that Canon has released the new A700IS. It is almost exactly like the A700 but also has image stabilization and it DOES have the underwater settings as well as have a Canon designed underwater case. So if you don't mind waiting a bit, I'd get that if I were you.
Skeech3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9

I replied this yesterday but the camera model I was referring to is the brand new Canon A710IS which is basically (from the specs I saw) very similar to the A700 but has Image Stabilization, has underwater settings, Canon makes an underwater case for it (not sure if the A700 would fit in this case or not), and maybe a coupple of add'l features.

Sam
Skeech3 is offline   Reply With Quote