Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 16, 2003, 3:29 AM   #1

Default Canon A70 Blurry Images Test Results

Hi All,
I have my A70 for a few days, and I'm satisifed and not satisfied. I made few tests and I would like other A70 users to tell me their expiriences.
When I'm shooting with flash pictures are clear and a little bit soft but not so important. Even night scenes are so fantastic!!!!!!
Then I review EXIF on all my clear and "soft & blurry (ghost)" images and I found out that each time when I'm shooting without flash, if shutter speed is slower than 1/60 picture will be blurry, IT IS ALWAYS IN MY TESTS. ALL OTHER PICTURES HAS ABOVE 1/60 AND IF IT IS LESS I WAS USING FLASH (mostly night scenes). Also I found out that with A70 there is still 13.4 mm problem, that A40 users talking about. I took this picture with 1/60, but it was 13.4 mm and picture is bllury also. Also I find out that when ever battery is very close to die pictures are more and more out of focus and blurry.
Maybe Canon will fire firmware to fix this problem very soon, otherwise a lot people that was looking to buy this camera will go for other manufacturers.

Please let me know your opinion!

Thx!

Mayo
gaja_tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:36 AM   #2

Mayo:

If you can return your A70 to the seller, then do so. At that point, decide if you want another A70 or a different camera. I had a defective A40 which Canon U.S.A. failed to repair 2 times over a 3 month period. It had a misaligned viewfinder and a defective CCD. I replaced it with a Nikon, which takes better pictures.

If you read this forum and other internet forums on Canon, you will see that there were lots of complaints about defective A40's with bad viewfinders, CCD, autofocus problems, and blurry images. Now in the same forums. you will read the same about the A60/A70 with the same problems and some new problems too (misaligned viewfinder, misaligned CCD, LCD-power problem, blurry pics).

While the A60/A70 have some excellent features (Av, TV, and M), if Canon has a production problem in the factory with poor quality control and you end up with a defective camera, then you will have bad pics.

It's up to you to replace your A70 with another one or get another brand of camera. Personally I got a Nikon and I do not regret it.

Good luck,

Steve
srhaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:13 AM   #3

If you are truly unhappy, I'd exchange it for another a70. That way if it fixes the problem, you have all the great features of the cam, and if it doesn't, you can always exchange again for a cam from another brand. I think for the exposure under 1/60th of a second may be caused by slightly shakey hands. I have had some blurry pictures from my oly om10 35mm slr when using 1/30th of a second and no tripod (my hands aren't the steadiest in the world, but not the shakiest either). Perhaps you cold take a few pics at the lower shutter speed on a tripod and see if that solves the problem. If you don't have a tripod, you could take your cam to a store that carries tripods and take a few shots at a slow shutter speed using one while "checking to see if you like the tripod" for the sake of the store's proprietor or employees. As to the battery problem, I'd suggest having at least 2 sets of nimh so when one starts to go, you can switch 'em out and still get good pics.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2003, 2:59 AM   #4

Ardvark50, you are right. I just tested more last night, and I got more light for indor shoots and also I tested with tripod shooting landscape from my balcony, bith cases without flash and pictures was so amazing. So because A70 has so many manual control, I think I just have to use to it.
Steve: regarding your comment, I do not think my A70 is bad, and esspecially I disagree with you regarding Nikom making better pictures. My friend has 2 Nikon Coolpix 2500 and 4500 and when we look pictures from A70 & Nikon there is a big difference in advance of Canon, especially Nikon is not able to take pictures in some conditions that I'm able to make with Canon. We should respect who is older in photo business!
Thanks to both of you for the comments!

Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
If you are truly unhappy, I'd exchange it for another a70. That way if it fixes the problem, you have all the great features of the cam, and if it doesn't, you can always exchange again for a cam from another brand. I think for the exposure under 1/60th of a second may be caused by slightly shakey hands. I have had some blurry pictures from my oly om10 35mm slr when using 1/30th of a second and no tripod (my hands aren't the steadiest in the world, but not the shakiest either). Perhaps you cold take a few pics at the lower shutter speed on a tripod and see if that solves the problem. If you don't have a tripod, you could take your cam to a store that carries tripods and take a few shots at a slow shutter speed using one while "checking to see if you like the tripod" for the sake of the store's proprietor or employees. As to the battery problem, I'd suggest having at least 2 sets of nimh so when one starts to go, you can switch 'em out and still get good pics.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 2:57 PM   #5

Default To gaja_tz:

If you read Steve's comments a little more carefully, you'll realize he said that the Nikon camera he bought takes better pictures than the Canon A40 he had that had problems. He didn't really say that all Nikon cameras take better pictures than all Canon cameras.

In your posting you said, "We should respect who is older in photo business! ", do you mean that you are older in the photo business? Or do you mean that Canon is older than Nikon?

Thank you, Bill.
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:18 PM   #6

First Bill we are talking about A70 not A40. Please read before you start criticize!
Canon is CANON. Also you can check some more reviews. Steves is OK, but there is a lot more. And I think that a little bit more complex image tests making imaging-resource and if you compare pictures from the Nikon and Canon, based on the same price range and MP you'll see who makes better pictures. I'm not older in photo business, as you can see from my first posting?!?!?!
And also somebody likes Nikon, sombody Canon, somebody Oly ... Nobody's perfect!