Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:23 PM   #1

I don't own a Canon but the S3 IS with the ISO 800 is looking pretty good to me. Does anyone know how fast the camera is in continious mode at beat quality and if you can shoot until the card is full?
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:41 PM   #2

As the S3 isn't out yet.. I can just use my S2 as an example.. I can't imagine the S3 being worse..lol

I've done burst with my S2.. and yes, to answer your question.. you can keep shooting nonstop.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3

I believe the max on the S2 is 2.4 fps in the High-Speed continuous mode. And yes, you can shoot continually until the memory card is full. I prefer the Standard Continuous mode (1.5 fps) because the EVF/LCD gives you a brief glimpse of the image between shots. This allows for quickly re-framing the image if necessary. As a sidebar, the continuous shooting mode works well when you're at the edge of the image stabilizer effect and you're trying to prevent a blurred image due to hand shake. Compressing the shutter release in the fully-down position for a few frames can further aid in stabilizing the image.
hawks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:09 AM   #4

Don't be fooled by the high ISO forit's becoming a marketing tool IMO.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5

I think the S3 does not have continuous burst mode till the memory card is full. Maybe something like a 15 shots?

Correct me if I am wrong on that.
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 6:17 AM   #6

From http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss3is/spec-e.html

Approx. 1.5 shots/sec. (Large/Fine mode)
Approx. 2.3 shots/sec. (High-speed continuous shooting, Large/Fine mode)

Slightly slower than the S2 - it has been speculated in postings over in the dpreview forums that this is because the images are slightly bigger.

And I too use continous shooting (without review in my case) to help increase the odds of a good image when shake is likely.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:23 AM   #7

Continuous mode is awesome...

I filled a gig at a baseball game, by the 3rd inning! Getting the pitcher's windup and throwing motions... and the batters... and fielders running/leaping for balls... you can't just aim and predict when to take that 1 shot, so continous allows you to take several of any 1 moment, each slightly different than the next...

I do find that when I'm using memory w/o any kind of 'X rating' on them, I get busy messages every now and then... with an Ultra II, I never get those, with a regular Sandisk, I get those after 8-10 shots (sometimes more, sometimes less, depends on the shots). I picked up some no-name card that was marked 150X, and no freezing on that (yet)

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 10:06 AM   #8

In continuous mode does it let you follow the action in real time through the view finder? Some cameras I've looked out either black out the screen or show stop action photos.

Also would you recommend the S2 over the S3 for sports?

Thanks, Alan
alanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:48 AM   #9

The S2 can be set to show the images being taken at 1.5 shots/second - or you can disable the review and reach 2.4 shots/second.

The S3 is spec'ed a little slower (bigger images?). See http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html for info on these cameras.

But the S3 is supposed to have more usable ISO 200 and 400.

In sunlight, they're likely to be very similar. Indoors the S3 might be better because of the higher ISO - but both are probably not that great for zooming in indoors sports - not enough light to make the most of the zoom.

I've never used an S3, so this is all my comparisons are speculation.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote