Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:31 PM   #11

Thank you for your kind words, Sue. Next time you come to California (more specifically tothe Bay Area), don't hesitate to contact me. Anyway, yes I chose the H1 over the S2 for...well...1000 reasons (maybe not that many but close). The primary reason was camera performance. The H1 beats the S2 in just about every respect. It's faster, it has an extremely accurate (and super fast)auto focus system, it produces sharp images perfectly balanced right out of the camera, it has no known issues (unlike the S2 which has the poor AF problem, picture softness problem, poor AF with AFassist issue, poor AF in macro mode, etc, etc, etc.), it has a much more powerful flash (too powerful at times but I've got a good grip of it and when the subject is too close, I decrease the exposure to -1.0 or even -2.0 at times), 2.5" LCD, which is awesome (the S2 has a pathetic 1.8" LCD), abetter, larger and clearer EVF, it offers a live histogram (in REC mode), which I can not live without (it helps you determine how exposed your image is BEFORE you take the picture, so you never end up with an over or under exposed shot - the S2 only offers histogram in PLAY mode, so if the picture is not properly exposed, you have to adjust the settings andtake it again), ituses only 2xAA batteries (the S2 uses 4), ....I can go on and on...menu easier to navigate, easy setting wheel locatedbelow the shutter release button, which allows you to change the aperture, shutter speedand exposure w/o having to navigate through the menus,...

Now you may ask, "why did you buy the S2?". Well, I really liked the colors produced by the S2, very rich and nicely saturated. I also thought that having the ability to zoom in and out in movie mode was a great feature. However, as it turned out, I hardly use the camera to shoot movies (I have a camcorder for that purpose), so it did not matter. Today, the S2 became my spare camera, the one I carry in my car if that unique photoopportunity arises (I will not expose my H1 to the environment or risk of being stolen). But, when I go on any trip (short or long), the H1 is the camera I takewith me.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:03 PM   #12

OK - I realize these are BAD, but hope they give a little insight into the issue at hand.
Attached Images

sue6389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:04 PM   #13

Another rotten shot...
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:05 PM   #14

And one more. These were all taken using auto focus, at about 35 ft. away. I can't get the manual focus to work at all.
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:12 PM   #15

This shot was also taken using the auto focus, with the same lighting, at 15 ft. away. Granted, the dogs weren't moving much, but it seems to be a zoom problem for me (maybe).
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:36 PM   #16
Administrator

The EXIF has been stripped from these images. So, I'm unable to see the camera settings.

You may want to try using the free Irfanview I mentioned to downsize them, making sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked when you save the images (and they are checked by default).

Whatever editor/method you used to downsize them removed the camera settings from the images that were put there by the camera.

Were they processed by something else before you downsized them for posting? If so, whatever software you used may have stripped out this information. It will be in the original images.

There is no obvious focus point in the first image. So, I'd like to see the shutter speed and settings.You could be getting some blur from camera shake or subject movement. Was IS turned on? The shoot only mode is reported to work best.

The rest have a lot of CA/purple fringing. That's to be expected with very high contrast photos (more often limbs against a bright, white sky), especially when you're shooting a smaller subject where your depth of field is shallower at wide open apertures (and my guess is that you were at wide open apertures but I'd need to look at the camera settings to tell).

But,the fringingdoes appear to be unusually high. Were you using any kind of filter? Sometimes a cheap filter can cause odd problems with light. Or, you may have an out of calibration camera (it happens from time to time).

If you have a chance, use Irfanview to downsize an image and post it (making sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked when you save it so we can see the camera settings). I might be able to tell more about what the camera was doing.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:22 PM   #17

I agree with Jim. With no EXIF available is difficult to determine what is causing the blur. IMO, the first photo, as Jim stated, has no focus point, so it could be that you either did not have IS turned on, the shutter speed was too slow or the camera just could not focus properly, period. My guess? Option #3. I've experience that phenomenon many times. The camera locks the focus (green square) but the picture is actually out of focus. The reason this is my guess is because I see sunshine on the bird so it is very unlikely the shutter speed is too slow (unless you had the camera set to Av mode forcing the camera to a slow shutter speed - again, very unlikely). The IS system could potentially be off but, based on our previous suggestions, I want to believe you have made sure it was ON. Thus, the problem is with the AF.

#2 appears to be focus (at least the tree and the bird are). The purple fringing is severe. Yes, some may be expected but you've got way too much (see picture below taken with my H1 with the Sony 1.7 Tele converter DH1758. As you can tell, despite the high contrast in the background, there is no purple fringing at all. You can also see the accuracy of the AF. Although there are branches all over the place, the focus was dead on the squirrel). Anyway, back to your photo, I think this is a typical example of how you would benefit from having the color effect set to VIVID. Theimage would not be as soft.

#3 is a typical example of the "fog effect" many people talked about. The softness can be reduced,once again,by having the camera set to VIVID. My claims are substantiated by your photo sharpened in Picasa (see below). If the focus was the problem, it would be very difficult to obtain such a result.

And finally #4 is the reason I bought an S2. Excellent color reproduction, good contrast and sharpness.

Finally, the manual focus is a pain and should only be used in extreme situations and even that, it's a total hit and miss.
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:23 PM   #18

Sue photo #3
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:27 PM   #19

Photo taken with myS2 and apolarizer filter. No water reflection or glare to be removed but yet the filter cleaned up the image and the AF was dead on (with zoom).
Attached Images

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:15 AM   #20
Administrator

Tullio

You can't compare a shot with a bird in deep shadows with a bright backgroundto one of a squirrel in more even lighting, especially when focal length, etc., isn't even known. Any camera will exhibit purple fringing in severe conditions.

Has the Canon got a problem with it in some conditions? Sure. Does the H1 have a problem with it in some conditions? Yep. Is one better than the other? The H1 probably has a slight edge. But, it's nothing to brag about in this department either.

The only way to tell how one camera is going to do against another is to take photos of the same subjects in the same conditions.

For these two cameras, Steve did just that so that visitors could better compare them. You'll see some of the samples marked where photos were taken with both cameras at the same time.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s_samples.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote