Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 3, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

LCD cracking screen problem.....

Well, I took a look at the new sd630 and sd700 IS today at Circuit City. I compared them with the older ELPH models like the sd300, sd450 and sd500 and 550. There is a definite physical difference in the way the LCD screen looks. It not only looks different but it looks like it is installed differently. I suspected Canon did this because of all the cracking problems with the LCD screens. While I was there, the Circuit City guy showed me their brand new warranty. It actually covers cracked screens and other breakage. He says they are the only retailer offering this new warranty. On a $500.00 camera, the cost is $100 for 2 years coverage...$150.00 for 4 years coverage.

When I got home, I called the Canon service 1-800 number. I asked specifically about the LCD cracking problems on the older models. He confirmed that Canon finally recognized this problem. The reason the newer LCD screens look different on the SD630 and SD700 IS is because they ARE different! He said Canon fired the old LCD manufacturer and is now using a NEW company to make these LCD's.

I suppose only time and use of the newest ELPH cameras will tell us if this will solve the problems. I know that does not help anyone who already owns the older models. I am watching carefully how the new SD630 and SD700 IS does before I go out and buy one.

Does anyone out there already own one of these two cameras???

Patty
pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 4:19 PM   #2

i've been keeping a close watch on this situation, as I'm eyeing a SD450 for purchase. I've searched all over the web for mention of the 2006 series of cameras (450,550, etc and the ones you mentioned) exhibiting cracked screens or E18's, and haven't found anything mentioned about the problem having cropped up for anyone (except posts like these, speculating aobut the problem and the possibility of it having been solved, due to the lack of online complaining thus far).

so, i think it's going to be OK for us new buyers! (fingers crossed)

[or maybe they've upgraded: now the lens will crack and the camera will die with E-19 messages! :shock: ]

yakov.
bluesdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

well, ok, i found one. ("LCS cracked" thread in Canon)
Old May 7, 2006, 5:31 AM   #4

AFAIK the cracked LCD issues only affecting d300, sd450 and sd500. Canon fixes the i ssue on the newer model such as sd550/600/630.
m3ipaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 7:31 AM   #5

i'm fairly sure the sd450 has one of the updated screens. searching all over the internet, i could only find a few reported problems... one on Amazon, one here, one elsewhere. compare this to the sd400, which has tons of awful reviews on Amazon for memory card, e18, lens, and lcd problems. (although my next-door neighbor loves her sd400.)