Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 4, 2006, 12:07 AM   #1

Very unluckily, the "memory card error" message appears on my G5. Search on google,it seems to be a very common problem in Canon's DCs. MostwereS400 and Ixus 400, but mine is G5, any other G5's owner encounter such a problem?

I've tried refomating different cards on my Xp pro, charging my battery, replacing the watch battery, but nothing help! Any other ideas? Thanks for any advice!
yeszzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 3:16 AM   #2

Try to format your cards in the camera like this instructions from your manual.

*If the camera does not work properly,the inserted CF card may bemalfunctioning. Reformatting the CF card may solve the problem.

*When a non-Canon brand CF card is malfunctioning, reformatting it may solve the problem.

*CF cards formatted in another camera, computer or peripheral device may not operate correctly. When that happens, reformat the CF card with this camera. If formatting in the camera does not work properly, turn the camera off and re-insert the CF card. Then turn the camera back on and format again.

//The man from " The land of the midnigth sun ".
Sehlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 5:49 AM   #3

I have a IXUS 430 and one month ago also got the "memory card error" message, try to formatthe CF card several times can't resolve it, Idisassemble my IXUS 430 and found one of CF pins in the memory card slot is broken, you can check your G5 CF pins in card slot is normal or not
lkk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 7:01 PM   #4

The problem is not a new one, as CF cards, due to their poor design, tend to suffer from pin breakages after prolonged usage.

Did you remove your card a lot ? That could be the reason.

I personally bought a 2GB CF Ultra II card for my G6 just so that I would not need to remove the card due to lack of space, thereby preventing these problems.

Dust could also be a factor.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5

After replacing the old rechargable battery with a new one, the problem has gone!

Thanks for you kindly reply!
yeszzz is offline   Reply With Quote