Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 31, 2006, 8:26 AM   #11

I was going to make a comment like "It is human nature when we hear about the malfunctions but nothing about when things are going right."

While I think this is true, and I believe that there are many Canon A series cameras out there that don't have the E18 problem, if your camera does have the problem it is a big deal to you.

I am very disappointed that a "reputable" camera company like Canon would deny that these problems exist and try to blame the customer. I believe they have seen this error from dropped cameras, but they should not (by default) claim it was because of something the owner did.

This E18 error does seem to point to a lens mechanism problem that does exist in many Canon cameras.

CANON SHOULD PRESERVE THEIR COMPANY'S REPUTATION AND ADMIT WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM AND NOT TRY TO GET OUT OF HONORING THE WARRANTEE TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS! THEY SHOULD ALSO PRODUCE A REDESIGNED MECHANISM TO REPLACE THOSE TROUBLESOME ONES AND INSTALL THE NEW DESIGN PART DURING A WARRANTEE REPAIR.

Sorry for the all caps, but I feel strongly about this. I'm sure nobody at Canon designed a problem into a camera, but they should admit it when it is obvious that a problem does exist.

CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:07 AM   #12

"When I got the camera back, because Canon had claimed there was a dent (then termed it a scrape), I, naturally, looked for it--"

If you read enough about the e18 error on the photography forums, you'll see that Canon's standard response seems to be "impact damage". It's obvious Canon is aware of the problem and just as obvious that they intend to deal with it in an unethical and dishonest manner.

"And do you want to hear the "kicker". It still shows the E18 error!!"

Unfortunately, that's not the first time that story has been told either. If it's returned with the e18 error again, which is a distinct possibility, I'd demand a new camera from Canon. Good luck to you.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:53 PM   #13

i've just got back my s2 yesterday.
they changed the whole optical unit. now the outer ring of the lens is bluish in color where as the original one was silver.
So now i've got a silver-colored themed s2 with a blue ring on the lens.
gold4knight is offline   Reply With Quote