Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 6, 2006, 1:45 PM   #1

Deleted

Last edited by happycat; Mar 30, 2013 at 3:24 AM.
happycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 4:00 PM   #2

I don't know if the "A" series is still afflicted with the E18 error problem or not. Of course, Canon has never admitted that there ever was a problem. I think the "SD" series suffered more from LCD screens which cracked inexplicably than the E18 error. As far as I know, Canon has never accepted responsibility for that problem either. If you don't feel comfortable purchasing a Canon digicam, there are some excellent options availble from other manufacturers. Read Steve's reviews and check out the sample photos.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

I own the Canon PowerShot A610 and G6 - no E18 errors for me so far.

If you are concerned, perhaps you can ask for a store warranty.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:03 AM   #4

Deleted

Last edited by happycat; Mar 30, 2013 at 3:25 AM.
happycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:53 AM   #5

i''ve just sent my s2is for an E18 error repair. Seems the problem will occur across canon cameras that uses retractable lens.
gold4knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 6:02 AM   #6

I just sent my less than 6 month old SD550 to Canon for repair. Suddenly, the lense would not retract. To my surprise, I received an e-mail telling me that I would be charged $119.00 for the repair. They CLAIMED to have found an "impact dent" on the camera...and, I assume are using that to justify the repair charge. What a bogus claim!! The camera simply stopped working properly. I took a picture, turned the camera off, and a couple of minutes later turned it back on again...nothing, a "whine", no display, and the lense would not retract. And I certainly did not drop the camera between one shot and the next. It just broke!! Needless to say, my confidence in Canon's reputability and honesty isgreatly shaken. I'm very hesitant to pay for the repair, ashow am I to know they won't do this again next time? In fact, I'm pretty sure thay would. Have others of you had this same experiencewith Canon's lack of responsibility?And I'd appreciate your opinions. ShouldI get this camera repaired or simply move on to a new camera? Can I anticipate continued problems with either the camera or the company? Thank you.
caldreamin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 5:34 PM   #7

It appears that the problem seems to be fixed for the 2006 models: Here's an excerpt from http://e18.bitnet.cx/comments.php:

"E18 SIMULATION - 03.29.2006 SD600 / Digital IXUS 60 HI EVERYBODY,
Canon appears to have fixed this unacknowledged E18 failure for its new SD600 model.
I went to a CC store here (undisclosed location) and tested out its SD600 floor sample. I forced E18 (a) by turning on the camera while blocking its extension or (b) by turning it off while preventing its retraction. Either way, E18 showed up but the camera operated normally after it was powered off then powered on.
I simulated this error many times and each time the camera was able to recuperate and function normally !

On the other hand, I am disappointed that Canon never addressed this E18 for its SD45O. I forced E18 on this model like I did for SD600, and the camera went dead right away!! No way it can be revived !!!! Poor SD 450 !!! Sorry Canon !!!"

So far, there haven't any reports of e18s on the 2006 models. And yes, I have bought a SD700IS recently and very encouraged by what I read. Also, it seems that they reinforced the lcd to address the cracking lcd problems too.
iceman_dl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:03 AM   #8

Here's an update to my May 16 post. I called Canon and was initially told by the service tech who answered,as my 5/16 post stated, that the repair warranty (well within the one year)would not be honored because of the apparent "dent". I disputed this, and he passed me onto a"higher authority" within the service department. This fellow reiterated the same "dent" claim which I again disputed. He asked me to hold on while he actually gotmy camera and looked at it. Afterjust 3-4 minutes he came backto the phone. In inspecting the camera he said, "This looks more like a "scrape" than a dent to me, and we will therefore repair it at no charge. You should have it back in about 7 days." Needless to say I was happily surprised...in that I'd expected much more hassle in getting this resolved. I was impressed with Canon's ultimate responsiveness. I wanted to report this so that possibly someone else might find it helpful to puruse the issue of an in-warranty repair a little further after receiving an initial turndown. My confidence in Canon is restored.
Old May 23, 2006, 2:36 AM   #9

Why should your confidence in Canon be restored? You had to call to dispute the bogus claim of an "impact dent". What about those people who are too meek to challenge Canon and wind up paying the charge because of Canon's dishonesty? There have been many reports of people who sent immaculate cameras which had always been handled with the utmost care to Canon for repair only to be told the problem had been caused by impact damage. A reputable company does not have to be put "under the gun" in order to do the right thing. Canon's actions have been reprehensible.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 7:06 AM   #10

Lucky--I agree completely. The camera should have been repaired, under warranty, without all this hassle. When I got the camera back, because Canon had claimed there was a dent (then termed it a scrape), I, naturally, looked for it--as I certainly didn't remember anything of the sort when I sent the camera to them. What a crock!!!! There was essentially nothing where they claimed the damage to be. It was a little mark (about the size if a comma--about like this, .)--that's all!! No dent at all. And nothing I would even consider a scrape. Merely a place where the paint was slightly discolored. In fact, it was sooooo small it could have very well been there when I bought the camera. No one would even see it if not pointed out!! For Canon to even consider this the cause of ANY malfunction is ludicrious!! Talk about stretching the truth, and wanting to believe something so much, that a clear unreality becomes real!!! And do you want to hear the "kicker". It still shows the E18 error!! About every 4th or 5th time or so it comes up. I can't tell when it's going tooccur. I called Canon and they said just to sent it back for repair. At least this time they are willing to pay the postage both ways.Now i've lost even more confidence in them to get it right!! I'll send it back though one more time...and hope it's done properly this time!! Pretty bad that you have to carry two cameras with you just in case your primary camera fails!!!