Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 8, 2006, 2:15 PM   #1

I have the Canon S2 IS. I usually use the camera on Auto mode. It seems that my outdoor pictures are of pretty poor quality. On a perfectly clear sunny day my potos come out too dark. I have compared them to my friends pictures takes at the same time and place using much less expensive cameras. The faces in my photos appear shadowed. I have started using the flash in P mode to compensate. This has helped but seems like a crazy solution. Am I doing something wrong or is there a better setting than Auto for outdoor pictures. It just seems like these should be the easiest of all pictures to have come out good.
nboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 10:19 PM   #2

Strange, because most people think the S2 is too bright. You might check EV compensation, and metering mode (you might be on "spot").
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the help but after reading my manual and fiddling with the camera it seems that these two functions cannot be changed in "Auto" mode. I am pretty much an amateur and like to use the auto setting as much as possible. I was just surprised that the faces in my photos were so dark. I went back to see what settings teh camera had used in the bad photos and they were 1/400, F4.0 on most. Is it difficult to shoot in bright sun. I was not looking into the sun for the pics.
Old May 9, 2006, 6:37 AM   #4

Higher megapixel point-and-shoot cameras have a limited dynamic range - high constrast scenes may be more problematic. In these situations it's very important that you give the camera some indication of the part of the image that it should meter for good exposure (perhaps use spot-meter), or that you tell it to compensate a bit (+EV).

If you don't want to try spot metering or EV compensation - then try the special scene modes - for example, beach-mode is supposed to prevent dark subjects.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:01 PM   #5

OK, I understand now... in auto mode you can't set much of anything. Still, you should be getting good exposures in this mode.

Your exposure values of 1/400 at f4 strike me as close to what might be expected on a bright day, so it appears the camera is metering more or less OK (or, thinks it is). If your shots are turning out very dark then, I can only conclude that something must be going wrong within the camera.

Although I doubt if this will reveal nuch, it might be interesting to compare the exposure data you see when you're taking the shot with the image's EXIF data.

Old May 9, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

Here is the attachment
Attached Images

Old May 9, 2006, 12:40 PM   #7

Ihave tried to attach a sample of one of my images for you too see. It was taken at the beach which may have been part of the problem. I took about 15 pictures and they all turned out pretty much the same, a bit grainy and dark. The other photos that had problems were at a lake, on the shore. As mchnz said there is a SCN mode for beach. Maybe this would have helped, I will try it next time.
Old May 9, 2006, 5:09 PM   #8

nboerher,

The picture of the little boy strikes me as being properly exposed. The boy's face is in full shade, so it's no surprise that it's a bit dark. To correct that you would have to increase exposure by 1/2 to 1 stop (at the cost of over-exposing the background) , or use fill flash. But, that would be true of any camera.

What bothers me most is that the image is dead... it has no "snap" at all, but heaven only knows what sort of processes the image has gone through from your camera to my screen.

Here's something you might try: Go into the Function menu and set image quality to "Superfine" and size to "Large". Then go to the regular menu and set IS Mode to "Shoot Only". Finally, pick a subject with good detail, but easy to focus on (like the side of a building), hold the camera still (don't use the LCD), and shoot.
Old May 9, 2006, 5:43 PM   #9

PS....

You have every right to expext quite a bit from your S2 because, if operating correctly, it is capable of producing pretty decent images. You can see one of my imagesat the link below (bear in mind that Flickr, the hosting site, severely degrades the image in its resizing process), and you can view other, better S2 images at other forums on the net.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...659&size=l

Old May 9, 2006, 6:21 PM   #10

PPS…

One other idea and then I'll be completely tapped out:

You mentioned that the image appeared "grainy". In digital parlance this is called "noise", and the S3 is quite noisy at ISO 400. I'm unable to see any appreciable noise in your picture, but it is quite small, so perhaps it is not showing up. In the off chance that the auto setting is mistakenly setting the camera at ISO 400 rather than ISO 50, you might try going to P Mode and setting ISO 50 with the Function button.