Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 12, 2006, 12:20 AM   #1

I will be going on a trip in three weeks and have had my S2 for a month or so now. Over the weeks since the purchase I have been practicing with the cam, fiddling with the settings and such and have been slowly learning what to do and what not to do though I feel I have a wayto go.

My question: Is there a simple good one stop group of settings to have the camera on to take overall sharp photos. Auto mode is not good for this I find, as that would be the general reply here I suppose.

I will be taking all sorts of shots but may not have time to fiddle about with settings.

I like shooting on P mode with my setting on Vivid. However, I am open to suggestions on what settings I could pre-set the camera to for the trip that would produce good images.

MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 12:51 AM   #2

as I think, there's no such a setting which is able to be Suitable for any condition...if you mean take photo for the nature scene in daylight, I suggest you to use the Av mode, set to f/5.6-f/6.3, auto focus, flash off. In this mode, you can also use the other settings that can be set in the "P" mode, such as ISO/WB and others. And it's easier to control the Depth of field in this mode.
sunnyplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 12:53 AM   #3

It's hard to me writing so much English.....I hope you can understand what I said~:G
sunnyplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4

It depends on what sort of compromises we are willing to make, of course. Here's how I've set mine up for that "quick shot".

ISO 100

The quality is almost as good as ISO 50, and it might help in low light. I have ISO Speed set up on my shortcut button, so I can change it quickly.

Av Mode

I preset aperture to f5. It's easy to go up of down with the thumb wheel.

Metering Mode

I preset it to center-weighted as a compromise, but can go to one of the other two modes quickly with the Jump button.

Contrast Low

This can save blown highlights, and be corrected in PP if necessary.

EV Compensation

I preset it to -1/3. It's easy to change quickly with the Function button.

Good luck

dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:44 PM   #5

As I just stated in my focus thread, I am very new to photography. I thought I knew my stuff but I realize now I have much to learn. I don't really know anything about F.stops and such and the lack of auto settings in AV mode is a bit dautning. Reading these replies and not fully comprehending the advice leads me to believe that experimenting and flirting with such settings on my trip might not be the best idea.

At the moment I am comfortable with P mode and my camera set to Vivid. Usually, my results have been tollerable. However, I am wondering if I am missing anything that could make them better.

On this trip I will generally be taking shots of landscapes and scenery (I'll be in Ireland) but I also want the ablity to zoom in on some closeups and still maintain some marginally good focus. I also see some city streets and mural shots on the trip as well. The weather overthere is supposed to be sunny or very cloudy.

Right now my camera is set to P/Vivid/White Balance: Day light/ISO: 50.

But in camera settings and metering are what seems to be puzzling me.

Anyway, these suggestions are great. I am open to more.
MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 11:32 PM   #6

Av mode is automatic, but P mode would be fine.

I'll stick with the other recommendations I've made as a good "fixed" configuration. I only added comments on adjustments in the event you wanted to play with them.

The best "fixed" setting for WB is AWB. If you're comfortable adjusting it for varying light conditions, go for it.

Vivid is fine if you like that look.

For best quality pics set quality on "Large" and "Superfine", and IS on "Shoot Only".

The manual tells you how to set all these things.

dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote