Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:14 AM   #1

Default Just bought the A60 - Some thoughts...

This is the second digital camera of mine, the first one, an A40 worked exellently but I wanted the AV / TV features as well as the smaller format of the A60. I havent used it for such a long time yet, but what I noticed is that indoor shots with the highest resolution together with the "Fine" (not superfine) compression, gives me a bit grainy shots. The A40 delivered clear, sharp shots in with this setting which is a bit strange. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my settings or if this camera takes images with lover quality than the A40, but with the same settings. Let's hope I'm wrong...

Regards, Fredrik
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2003, 5:18 AM   #2

I have an a60, tomorrow, I'll take a couple of indoor shots and see how they turn out and add in my 2 bits.

I have not seen a problem with the camera yet, and quite like it.

*shrug*

Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 5:24 AM   #3

Default Look at this picture!

I'm not sure, but the low light might be the problem. Even though the rusults from the A60 shouldnt be worse that the shots taken with the A40. I was just at the harbour to take some photos, and it seems that the pictures looks more "jagged" in the edges than they did on the A40. Genereally, this seems to be a great camera but when I start to analyze the pictures, they shouldt look worse than the photos from the A40, right? Everything must be better with this camera, or thats what I thought..

Look at the picture. The hair looks really, really jaggy. I looked at another photo similar to this, but taken with the A40. There was no, or very little of this kind of problem on it. The best modes have been selected in both cases.

http://hem.passagen.se/wetwo/hair.jpg
(Strangely you have to press "enter" one time more in your browser to load the page. I dont know why..)

Regards, Fredrik
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 3:46 PM   #4

Hrmm your link didn't seem to work, even with hitting "enter" again.

I just took these two shots and lowered the resolution to 1024x768 on both.

The picture of the boxes, and bench was shot in a totally pitch black room with the flash on.

The other picture of the shotglasses and the Klipsch speaker were taken in a fairly low-lit bedroom.

Both were taken in the "portrait" mode on the a60.

http://www.venrilsathir.com/pix/lowlight1.jpg
http://www.venrilsathir.com/pix/lowlight2.jpg

How do they look?
Yes I know these shots aren't "interesting" but I'm trying to figure out what this lowlight discussion on the a60/a70 in various threads is all about
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:41 PM   #5

not bad. My A70 has produces soft images if the room is dim and I don't use the flash. It could be hand shaking for the longer shutter time or something else. The a60 shots look as good as my a70.
Lodewick is offline   Reply With Quote