Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 15, 2006, 9:07 AM   #1

I just purchased a Powershot S2 IS and am pleased with it, so far. We're headed to Niagara Falls in a couple of weeks followed by a trip to Alaska the end of June and I got to thinking that a waterproof case may be a good idea.

From what I can find, Canon doesn't make a case for this model. Does anyone know if the WP-DC20 case for the S1 will work with the S2? If, as I suspect, it won't does anyone have any ideas for protecting the camera in wet conditions?

Thanks,
Steve
calvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Canon does notmake a case for the S2 IS camera. Check out the Aquapack camera bags, you need the large model.

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=120188

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 9:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that someone would tell me that the S1 case would accept the S2, even though I knew down deep that it probably wouldn't.

Thanks too for the link to the other product. As much as it pains me, I think I'll just get a one time use waterproof camera for the Falls trip and just take extreme care while in Alaska.

Thanks again.
Old May 17, 2006, 7:46 AM   #4

I had the S1 with the watercase, and upgraded to the S2 without ever considering if it would fit or if Canon would make one for it...

I've since bought an Aquapac for large cameras, and as long as you take care of it, it will serve you fine (and it was a lot cheaper than the S1 case)
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:38 AM   #5

Thanks. I bought an Aquapac (Large). It arrived yesterday. I've gotta play with it some more. I put the camera in how they recommended (clip on the bottom) but when I turn the camera on it seems like there's not enough room for the lense to fully extend and the camera shuts itself off. Must be a positioning thing.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:50 AM   #6
RnR

Calvins - I was just curious if you have played around with the aquabag more and what you think of it?
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:37 AM   #7

it took me some time to get used to this bag and the S2

I find that putting the black clip on the left or right of the camera gave me better result... also hold the plastic out as much as you can when you power on the camera, and the lense won't hit the bag as it comes out and you'll be fine... once the camera is in, and it extracts ok, loosen one of the clips and push some of the excess air out, when under water, the less air in the bag the better, as you will be able to access the controls a bit better... take out too much air, and all the controls are super-sensitive, and you end up in the menu every 15 seconds... also, I enable the high-speed shutter when I go under, and not just try to take 1 shot, but several... between the mask, the water and the plastic bag, it's harder to see what your camera is seeing (hard to aim through the viewfinder) and I prefer not to use the lcd to preserve battery life (hard to change batteries when under) but if you're only snorkeling, then the LCD is a great help.

when underwater, try to keep the front of the bag flush with the lens, otherwise your pics will be distorted... my 1st snorkle experience, 99% of the pics were crap because I didn't even pay attention to that, and I almost gave up on it...

here's a shot

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=IMG_4641.jpg

I also used this bag quite a bit in the rain, and it works great out of water as well, and the camera is well protected

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=IMG_4065.jpg
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:08 PM   #8

SMP: Thanks for the tips. I'll give 'em a shot.

RnR: No, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Just bot back from being out of town for a week. I'm hoping SMP's tips help me out.

--
Steve
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:39 PM   #9

Will the large bag fit an S2/S3 with a lens adapter(Lensmate 52mm?)

I am not sure how many underwater pictures I will take, although a fewof the kids in the swimming pool would befun.After having my S2 only a months or so, I have already found myself taking shotswhile standing on slippery rocks and being waist deep in creeks .

I was thinking drybag but for only $45 this bag looks pretty good and is much more flexible.I have already bumped the attached lens adapter a couple of times, so I would muchstrongly prefer to be able to keep it on rather than bump the extended lens while the camera is bagged.

Itoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:09 AM   #10

Itoq wrote:
Quote:
Will the large bag fit an S2/S3 with a lens adapter(Lensmate 52mm?)

Yes. Saw your post, grabbed my camera, tube and bag. The camera won't slide into the bag with the tube on, regardless of how you try to angle it in... So I slid the camera in 1st, then the tube, and rotated the camera in-bag to slap the tube on, and then turned the camera back towards the 'shooting window'. I'd be worried that overtime, this might scratch the inside of the bag, so maybe the tube should get coated with something....

At this point, the only question I have is whether this will work under water... I've noticed previously that I've had to keep the bag flush to the lens to get good pictures. I think this was to do more with keeping the bag flat/even to lessen distortions... but with this setup, the lens and the bag no longer touch, there's a small gap between the 2... I'll take this to the pool, and test