Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:57 AM   #11

I am not making a personal attack here - merely responding to the original assumption made by him. If perhaps he had not made an illogical comment, there is nothing he needs to refrain from. We are here to help and share knowledge.

I am in no way trying to assign anything. The topic here deals with the issue, and I strongly felt that he had not understood my comments before posting - and -

Wow - "childish" ..... ?

I guess he is taking this very personally. I respect his experience and knowledge, but nothing should be taken out of context.

If he feels that he needs to leave because of this, whether or not that happens - it is up to him solely.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:22 PM   #12

I have learned something from this talk.
SixOrMoreShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:58 AM   #13

Whether or not dark cobra's post was specifically irrelevent, it explained more about what you meant about "larger sensor". His post was beneficial to everyone.

There are so many new posters that go through these forums and they would of just skimmed right over the info about large sensor in your post.

ELDDJOC wrote:
Quote:
To answer the above - I said that it had a larger sensor and better image quality. I did not say that "because it had a larger sensor that better image quality was automatically guaranteed" - please refrain from illogical comments.

Larger sensors are indeed more desirable in digital cameras, and in this case, I was referring to Canon P&S cameras with the standard Canon lens.

This is about Canon cameras, S500 vs other SDs, so what you are saying is mostly irrelevant to the matter here. I understand that you may have a thing about the megapixel war and the hype about it, but there is no need to make a fuss here.

To Apples123 - if in doubt, go to a camera store and ask to physically test the cameras, and see which one suits you best. I personally felt that despite the SD630 being newer and a bigger LCD, the SD550 had better image quality.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:57 AM   #14

Hi Dark Cobra,

Since you are a new SD700 owner, I thought I would ask you a question. Of course anyone who can help me is welcome to comment as well. I just purchaced the SD700 and it should be arriving in a couple of days. I want to protect the screen the best I can so I have done some research on LCD screen protectors. So far the one that seems like it gives the best protection without being too cumbersome is the 'da acrylic protectors. The problem is I do not know if any of the current 'custom' sizes they offer would fit the screen on this new Canon. They do not yet list a product to fit this new camera on their website. I have sent three emails to them in the past week (they do not have a phone) and all I get is an automated response back.

I know the screen is 2.5 inch...same as the SD450, 550 and 600. However, since the placement on the camera is a little different than past Canons, I'm not sure if one of the protectors for the earlier models would fit correctly. Here is the link to their website in case you are not familiar with them. The soft plastic or silicone protectors just don't seem to be enough protection. Any comments or suggestions?

Steve, your help would also be welcome. Thanks!

Patty

http://www.daproducts.com
pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:13 PM   #15

Thank you MrX for your support and "very astute" comment. I returned here after a lengthy chat with "Steve" himself. I thank him as well for his support and comments which I will keep to myself. Unfortunately, we go through things like this periodically with new people and the storm usually passes. The main thing we all need to keep in mind is that ALL opinions should be respected and no poster needs to be told their contriubtions are "irrelevant" . . . 'nuff said.
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:23 PM   #16

Hi Pgaydos!

Thank you for the kind words as well. The "T3" version of the"da protector"is a perfect fit for the SD700. I have one on mine and it fits and functions perfectly. The "da protector" is clearly superior to ANY of the flexible films that merely sit on top of the LCD screen. They are fine for protecting against light scratches, but the "da protector" product actually protects the screen from scratches as well as cracks! Thus, allowing one to feel at ease in actually carrying the product in a pocket. I hope this information helps!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:04 PM   #17

Hi Steve,

Thanks foryour quick response! I have a problem locating the "T-3" on their website, though. I checked under all the Canon protectors and many of the other brands and did not find any labeled "T-3". I did find the "T-1" which is what they recommend for the SD 450, 550, and 600. Did you mean that one or am I looking in the wrong place?

Patty

Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:06 PM   #18

Hi Steve,

Thanks foryour quick response! I have a problem locating the "T-3" on their website, though. I checked under all the Canon protectors and many of the other brands and did not find any labeled "T-3". I did find the "T-1" which is what they recommend for the SD 450, 550, and 600. Did you mean that one or am I looking in the wrong place?

Patty

(PS- I agree with you that the Aussie girl got way bent out of shape and was inappropriate in her comments to you)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:26 PM   #19

Dark Cobra, few questions regarding the SD700. I currently own the SD500 (previously owned the S400 which by the way, IMHO, is no better than the SD500; if anything, the SD500 showed more details...). and have been satisfied for the most part with its capability and picture quality, of course. However, as such is the case whenever a newer model comes out, people are oftenintrigued by the newer camera. That said, how satisfied have you been with the SD700? I've read in other forums in which various Canon users have claimed the SD700 suffers from slight softness and blurriness on edges ofpictures (as noted by Steve himself); it doesn't occur everytime,but the general consensus seem to be that it is pretty prevalent. How about the image quality? I noticed the ISO level has been raised to 80, have you noticed more noise? How effective has the IS been? What about low-light pictures? All in all, do you find yourself post-processing your pictures? Have you tried printing the pictures, if so, how is the quality? At 6MP, Canon claims you can go as high as 11X14 without sacrificing pixels.

If you can, please share your SD700 photos with the rest of the Canon members.

Thanks.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:58 AM   #20

You are correct that it is the "T1". This model is also known as "113" which is where I seemed to have slipped in the "3". So the "T1" is in fact the one I (and others are using). Perfect fit. Make sure you just take your time in applying the adhesive strips. They give you plenty of extra but you should be able to get it the first time around. You'll probably ask yourself the same question everyone else has . . . "Why didn't they simply pre-apply the adhesive strips so that all you have to do is peel off one side and slap it on?".

None of us have any idea! LOL I would have paid a few extra bucks for them to have done that, but it really is very straight-forward in applying the strips yourself.

Thanks again for the kind words and support. I have heard from quite a few people here privately and the universal encouragement caused me to return. Let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. Waving!