Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:19 AM   #21

Hi Elphman!

If the SD500 is doing it for you then there's no need to make any changes. You know it's funny, I did an archive search over at dpreview where I also prominently post under a different name. I had recalled when the SD500 came out that a lot of posts started showing up complaining about guess what? Edge Softness! LOL!

In time as people got to understand the particular settings for that camera those issues starting to lessen. I also recently noted the professional review of the $7,000 Canon EOS 1D where dpreview found it has guess what? Edge Softness under certain conditions! LOL.

The point being, I have yet to see a camera of any price range or level that didn't have gremlins of one kind or another. In specific regards to the SD 700 I have found that setting the camera up is critical (just as it is in any camera for that matter). Once most people make the adjustments they are quite suprised at what this camera is capble of rendering. Yes, there can be some edge softness under the right conditons but it has not been problematic in my model at all. In fact, I've found it to be sharper than many of the digicams I've owned over the years.

The ISO 80 is viturally indistinguisable from ISO 50 or 64 n other cams. You'd need a pro-grade lupe to discern any differences (assuming you could even spot them). I find that ISO 80 & 100 are also quite identical. At ISO 200 you start to see the differences and at ISO 400 you will need the assistance of Neat Image or Noise Ninja post processing. I find that ISO 800 is pretty much worthless and I wish manufacturers would stop playing the game that such extremes will actually be useful. They know darn well thatuntil they have a sensor breakthrough no pocket cam sensor will render images at such extreme ISO's that anybody would want.

I find 6mp to be just fine since I rarely print. However, I have managed to print up to 11X14 if the image reasonably sharp which many of the are. Beyond that you are stretching things. Not going to kid anybody on that. Low light images without flash are pretty decent and have surprised me. I expected worse actually. In such situations the "OIS" really helps. Many people like to normally shoot at -1/3 exposure for more saturated colors. My suggestion would be to return your exposure to normal or even +1/3 when going into low light without flash. Underexposing may render more saturated colors, but will also produce more noise in low light (just a tip).

Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:33 PM   #22

Thanks for the detailed response. While I still like my SD500, I'm now inclined to purchase the SD700 IS - I just read another excellent review of this camera on another professional website, and like Steve's review, megapixel.net gave the camera super high mark. Others have as well - CNET, virtually all owners of the SD700 IS on amazon.com gave it a five star mark. The IS feature, 4X zoom,and its ability to take fairly decent low-light shots just can't be beat. Even at 6 MP, I don't think one will notice any dramatic difference from the 7.1 MP SD500 camera pictures.I have yet to print any of my pictures and the likelihood ofprinting beyond 8X10 isvery low. But like I said, I'm happy with the SD500 althoughit has been pretty frustrating at timeswhen some of my pictures at full 3X zoom (or near its full zoom)come out soft and/or blurry in light of the fact that the green bracket indicator comes on. Action shots is a hit and miss. Of course, when focused and in good light, the SD500 produces very beautiful, sharp pictures.

Regarding the old SD500 debate on another forum, yeah, I remember them. I recall old S400 users lambasting the SD500, saying it yielded soft pictures, blown highlights with strong chromatic abberation in certain lighting conditions and didn't quite capture as much detail as the S400.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:27 PM   #23

Hey Dark Cobra, I have question for you about the SD700. When you go to take a picture and the orange image stabilization light comes on, does your camera make a scratching noise that sounds like its coming from the lens? If so is this normal? Also when I'm switching scene modes I hear a clicking noise.

I just want to make sure all this is normal.

jkl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:50 PM   #24

Hi Elphman!

You are so right! When the SD500 came out the threads trashed that camera to pieces in many forums! It was viewed as the invader to the beloved S400 and tons of people were compaining about edge softeness, sharpness and all the usual digital gremlins despite it'sdecent size sensor! In time, people calmed down and realized it was a prettygood camera after all. The same pretty much happens with a lot of new cameras and the SD700 is shaping up the same way. All the pro-review are coming out and viewing it favorably. People are breaking the ice and buying them.

Naturally, at first any existing oldercamera will have an edge in agreater variety of good images. Something any newer camera will not have for awhile. So people start saying "Gee, I've seen better images from existing camera X". Well, sure you have . . . it's had a head start! One can be fooled into thinking a new camera just doesn't take as good a picture, since a number of very first images we'll see are images that people are just learning their settings on with the new camera. However, in time as people learn the new camera and learn the proper settings, those cameras start filling the galleries with great images and the world is good again! LOL

Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:54 PM   #25

Hey jkl86!

I didn't miss your post . . . I answered it on the new thread you started. LOL. No, the camera is fine. They all do that. I have no idea what that little sound is. I tried to experiment by shutting off AF Assist and OIS as well as various sound functions. It is still there. You really can hardly here it though and it sounds kind of cool actually! You got me curious as to what it really is. Maybe Steve knows. Steve?

Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:22 AM   #26

Just got an SD700 and ran some resolution tests (using wedge shaped test patterns) at both zoom extremes and a few zoom positions in between.

I estimated that the sensor was the limiting factor in the middle of the image but the lens was the limiting factor at the edges. I estimated that the "lines of resolution" at the sides was at least 85% of the lines of resolution at the middle in practically all parts of the image and at least 75% in the remainingplaces. (Used a 9x12 foot testing area and the 85% minimum was everywhere in the middle 6x9 sub-area after discounting 1-1/2' strips at the edges.)

I estimate lines of resolution for adigital camera sensor or for a video displayat 70% of (my subjective Kell factor times) the pixel count. See http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/kell.htm for more information.

Just ordered a #113 aka T1 LCD protector from Da Products. I wanted a rigid protector that did not quite touch the LCD so there would be some give toabsorb impact with.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:47 AM   #27

Your best bet is to look at pictures made with the various Elph - Xius cameras and this will help you decide which camera is for you. Go to flickr and pbase and do a search for Canon Elph Xius. Most of the pictures you'll look at will have the camera model over on the right.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonelph/
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote