Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 16, 2006, 2:30 AM   #1

Hi there. I was wondering, i read somewhere that the older elphs (s400, s500 etc.), take better pics than the brand new ones. Is this true? I am considering getting a sd630, but i want to be sure because i just want best image quality. Any help would be great. Thanks
Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 3:20 AM   #2

I am not sure about the really old ones, but I do know that the SD550 has a larger sensor and better image quality than the newer ones coming out (ie. the SD700 IS).

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 3:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I am actually narrowing it down to the s500 (which came out in 2004 in think), and the sd630. I can get them at almost the same price!!! he sd630 has a 3" lcd!! However, it does have a smaller sensor, and that is why i am thinking about the s500 (although its bulkier and the lcd is exactly half the size)...so what should i do?

and of course i refuse to buy the sd450 or sd 500 because of the broken lcd problems
Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 6:41 AM   #4

It depends on what you need in a camera.

The S500 features the old DiGiC processor, so its autofocus is likely to be slower overall, and especially in low light. The DiGiC processor also tends to automatically pick slower shutter speeds, which may result in more blurred pictures.

The SD630 has a great LCD, but the image quality is only an issue if you are really picky about noise and detail after magnification.

The SD550 is a compromise between the two, but does have some red eye issues.

Old May 18, 2006, 1:29 AM   #5

Well I just have to respond to something someone just stated. The claim was that the SD550 takes better images than the SD700 because the SD550 has a larger sensor. I'm sorry but 37 years of photography causes me to have to say something here. Making such a statement without telling the "whole" story can be deceptive. The SD550 takes very good images indeed and yes it has a 1/1.8 sensor vs. the 1/2.5 sensor of the SD700. However . . . you have to look at a LOT more than just sheer sensor size in judging the likelihood of a better image. A LOT more!

The SD550 is a 7.1 megapixel camera. The SD700 is a 6 megapixel camera. Basically, what you have to do here is consider the sensor size -to- megapixel ratio into consideration and not simply look at sensor size. The current ridiculous mania for more and more megapixels is causing a lot of people to be unhappy with the noise levels in their images. Diminutive pocket-cams simply cannot accommodate sensors large enough to do justice to the "megapixel war" that seems to have erupted.

Whatever advantage you mayacquire by starting out with a slightly larger sensor can quickly be diminished by cramming more megapixels onto that sensor! The SD550 indeed takes very nice images . . . but it doesn't follow that its images are superior to a slightly smaller sensor with less megapixels. The A610 and the A620 both share the same 1/1.8 sensor and both take excellent images. However, many prefer the 5 megapixels of the A610 vs. the 7 megapixels on the A620, because less noise is rendered.

You've also got to take into consideration the various noise reduction algorithms that differentiate from one sensor to another. Just because a sensor is larger than another doesn't mean it's inherently better. The new 1/2.5 - six megapixel sensors (made by Sony I believe) that are found in the newest round of Canon's (A700, SD630, SD700) are excellent sensors as many knowledgeable photographers and reviewers are reporting.

My primary cameras are full fledged SLR's and have been since the '60's, and I recently opted for the SD700 because of the choice of sensor used and the moresensible choice of six rather than seven megapixels. The 3 inch LCD on the SD630 may have an initial WoW factor, but the presence of genuine OPTICAL image stabilization on the SD700 seals the deal, as it has the potential to render far better images than ANY prior non-optically stabilized ELF camera.

"BIGGER is not always BETTER . . . Often, LESS truly is MORE"
Dark Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 6:46 AM   #6

I bought the SD600 also in part because of the new sensor, even though it's smaller than the 1/1.8 sensor. My hope is that this sensor will showless noise levels at higher ISOs.

Do you think that this is the SONY sensor on these cameras?

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_5656.html

Steve
eurosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 12:04 AM   #7

I most certainly do. Quite a number of cameras are switching to this sensor for the reasons I enumerated above. In general a larger sensor is "ususally" more desireable, but as I stated there are indeed other factors that come into play besides merely size. The quality of the sensor . . . its noise reduction capability . . . the quality of the lenses used on the cameras and a number of other factors.

There just isn't the room to put DSLR size sensors in these little cameras, so the makers of these sensors are finallylearning to improve the performance of smaller sensors rather than try andsqueeze in larger sensor with higher noisymegapixels. I like the trend of downsizing a bit from the 7 and 8 megapixel "mania" to the more appropriate size 6 megapixel cameras for these newer 1/2.5 sensors. Sony and Canon are receving good reviews for the use of this new sensors.
Old May 21, 2006, 7:16 PM   #8

To answer the above - I said that it had a larger sensor and better image quality. I did not say that "because it had a larger sensor that better image quality was automatically guaranteed" - please refrain from illogical comments.

Larger sensors are indeed more desirable in digital cameras, and in this case, I was referring to Canon P&S cameras with the standard Canon lens.

This is about Canon cameras, S500 vs other SDs, so what you are saying is mostly irrelevant to the matter here. I understand that you may have a thing about the megapixel war and the hype about it, but there is no need to make a fuss here.

To Apples123 - if in doubt, go to a camera store and ask to physically test the cameras, and see which one suits you best. I personally felt that despite the SD630 being newer and a bigger LCD, the SD550 had better image quality.
Old May 25, 2006, 7:56 PM   #9

Well I must say I am disappointed in your response. I've been a member of this forum under this and other names since the very beginning. I have also been a photographer for over 38 years and it has been a lucrative second occupation. I have NEVER in that time told another photographer or poster to "refrain" from speaking or labeling their comments as "irrelevant". Young lady, this is a forum for ALL to speak freely !!! Moderation comes from Jim and Steve.

I merely took issue with a connection that YOU made . . . not me. You mentioned the better image quality of that camera - AND - then indicated the presence of the larger sensor. It is perfectly logical for any of us to note the association that YOU seemed to have made and render comment on the topic. All I indicated was that the presence of a larger sensordoes not necessarily render a better image! I went on to mention that other factors come into play. There was no personal attack on you.

I return to the forum to view a rather childish attack on me with comments that I need to "refrain" myself from commenting on things that YOU posted and that my comments are "irrelevant". I assure you that ALL comments and viewpoints from everyone here are RELEVANT. I can also assure you that if you do not want anyone commenting on things that you say . . . then you might want to think twice about participating in a forum where that is precisely what we do here! The opinions of othersmay not always comport with yours. But it is not YOUR place to assign who get's to speak.

Now back to the matter at hand . . . A smaller sensor allows a shorter focal length to achieve the same field of view. If the S2/S3 used a 1/1.8" sensor, the lens would need to be larger to achieve the same equiv f.l. range and aperture. If you look at specs, I think you would find that most (all?) of the super zooms uses the 1/2.5" sensor size for this reason.

While noise generally scales inversely with sensor, smaller =more noise, other factors in CCD design and in camera processing can also affect noise levels. So it is possible to have a 1/2.5" sensor with less noise than a 1/1.8" sensor (of equal or lesser pixel count).

Steve . . . Jim . . .I've been with you guys quite a while and supported your site. However, if things are changing like this over here then perhaps it's best that I bow out. I do not want to be the focal point (excuse the pun . . . lol) of controversy. However, I don't want to partcipate on a site where I'm told to "refrain from commenting" or that my comments in a thread are "irrelevant". Steve, advise me what you'd like me to do. In any event, it has been fun and I wish everyone here all the best and yes that includes the young lady in question.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:45 PM   #10

Oh you're both being so defensive!* You both should have waited a few hours before replying to each other. * Yes indeed, belonging to a forum means freedom of comments, even if it's in disagreement ... so aussie girl, next time, don't get so bent out of shape!* and Dark Cobra, you too!* You should be ashamed of yourself, being the elder of the two, for jumping into the melee.* You both have great knowledge to share, and it was great to have it further elucidated ... just a shame the personal part had to dominate.* Remain a member, DC!* Don't let this one little spat drive you away.* * ** ** *[img]/forums/images/emoticons/argue1.gif[/img]*YeYes, in
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote