Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:47 PM   #21

Thank yall very much! Now I understand how the Macro fuction is suppose to work. I thought the difference between Macro and Super Macro was how far you were zoomed. After revisitng the manual, I noticed that you press and HOLD DOWN the Macro button to be set in Super Macro mode. Now it works like I expect it to. I guess that shows I need to spend a little more time with the manual. Thanks again and I'll start trying out some of the other suggestions.
mclendenen1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:48 AM   #22

heres the first picture filtered. i guess most other cameras would filter noisy pictures internally. S2 and S3 only filter pictures when the shutter speed is more than 2 seconds.
Attached Images

manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:43 AM   #23

I don't have the S3 so I can't say much about it's picture quality but I did have an S2 (and lots of disappointment with it but that's another story), and in terms of functionality, they are bothjust about the same. I used to have the S2 set at the lowest ISO most of the time to reduce/eliminate noise. I found Super Macro to be a silly implementation of macro capabilities (perhaps because I lost way too many pictures by not having the camera set to SM when too close to the subject).

Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers should eliminate the AUTO mode on more sophisticated cameras. The reason I'm saying this is two fold: 1) these cameras do not handle AUTO settings very well (this thread is a good example of the various problems one may experience with ISO and other settings by simplyhaving the camera set to AUTO) and; 2) photographers buying cameras with suchenormous capabilities should be able to understand and usemodes other than AUTO.To me, AUTO is good on little point-and-shoot cameras, with very limited zoom and macro capabilities.I agree when people say "I had the camera set to AUTO so it should produce good images". That is a very true statement. If the camera offers an AUTO mode, the user should not have to understandhow aperture vs. shutter speed vs. ISO vs. WB, work. The camera should do a good job setting itself up. However, that's certainly not the case with most12x zoom cameras out there. They offer the AUTO mode BUT, if you really want to obtain good images, you MUSTset the mode toat least "P" mode so that you can control ISO, exposure, WB,etc.So, IMO, people buying 12x cameras should notexpect much from the AUTO mode.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:28 PM   #24

I certainly agree. I have had the Canon S3 for almost a month now, and I am getting much better pictures now that I have learned most of the modes. Although it's almost as much work as a SLR, I do enjoy one camera that can do 12x zoom, macro, and video all in one.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:32 AM   #25

Once you have a good 12x zoom camera, it's hard to change to anything else.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:50 AM   #26

I know what you mean. I used to have a Canon Pro90 IS that had a 10x zoom. I used it for about 2 years, then went to a Sony DSC-717 that only had 5x. I had that for three years and everytime I used it, I would find myself wishing I had more zoom! Now I do...