Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 17, 2006, 8:08 AM   #1

I went into my local CC to take my first look at the S3. I was hearing really great things about it but I wanted to test it out first. I brought my SD and started doing test shots in the store. Now, I was shooting in full auto mode because I was trying to test how this camera would work for the average point and shoot user. I think I must've missed something because these pics came out SO SO noisy!

Here's one of them:
http://www.digitalbydebi.com/IMG_0038.JPG

These are the settings saved to my SD for that pic.
Shooting Mode
Auto
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/80
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
Lens
6.0 - 72.0mm
Focal Length
40.3mm
Digital Zoom
None
Image Stabilizer
On
Image Size
2272x1704
Image Quality
Fine
Flash
Off
White Balance
Auto
AF Mode
Continuous AF
Parameters
Contrast Normal
Sharpness Normal
Color saturation Normal
Color Space
sRGB
File Size
1675KB
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting

Anybody have ANY idea why the quality of the pics was SO poor? I would really love to love this camera. The features, if working properly, would solve all my current camera problems.:roll:
DebiWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2

Rule #1 - get out of AUTO mode

get into P or something that allows you to control the ISO

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 1:00 PM   #3

I was hoping that, in auto mode, the ISO would be determined automatically........thus the term AUTO.

Apparently, auto won't do me much good indoors, huh?
Old May 17, 2006, 8:34 PM   #4

Did you take the photo in a dark room, without flash?
Also, pls set the date/time of the camera for more information.

2037:01:12 03:23:32 <-- doesnt make any sense.

If you did take the photo in the dark, try more light or use the flash.
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:42 AM   #5

In dim conditions, if you don't control manually set the ISO, and you don't flip up the flash, the camera will move to a high (noisy) ISO value to try and reduce camera-shake and subject movement. I think the S3 has a setting that can constrain the ISO to a limited range so that it will still automatically select ISO, but not too far up the range (I thought I read that somewhere).

DebiWonders wrote:
Quote:
I was hoping that, in auto mode, the ISO would be determined automatically........thus the term AUTO.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 7:17 AM   #6

DebiWonders wrote:
Quote:

It determined the ISO automatically, based on what it was focussing on, lighting, etc... and it would have taken into account that the flash was not on...

same auto shot with the flash, and I bet you get different results
SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 7:37 AM   #7

I went back to CC and decided to do a shot in every available ISO and in P, Portrait, and Auto modes. All I can say is WOW!!!! If you take the pic in ISO HIGH, it looks AWFUL. Almost EVERY pic I took in ISO AUTO or an ISO under 400, came out GORGEOUS though. Take a look:

http://www.digitalbydebi.com/IMG_0089.JPG

You may be able to pick out a flaw somewhere but I sure can't....not without REALLY looking for a REALLY long time. You can even see the little peach fuzz on her cheeks!

I also took a couple videos in the store and I was AMAZED by the quality of those. I literally gasped when it started playing on my computer. The colors are SO nice and the movie is VERY crisp and clean. It's a HUGE step up from my G1's fuzzy 30-second clips!

Thank all of you for your help. I really think I just needed more time with this camera and a few suggestions from nice folks like you to get what I needed to make a decision. After looking at today's results, I think the S3 will be mine!:G
Old May 18, 2006, 7:35 PM   #8

That is a super lovely photo.

Just make sure there is enough lightning and not in the AUTO mode when taking photos.

Use the P or Av mode. Also, I found that different metering modes helps a lot.

Enjoy your new toy!
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:20 PM   #9

Hi all:

Like many in this forum, I too was waiting with great anticipation for the release of the Canon S3 IS. My most recent camera was a Sony DSC-717 which was a good camera, but I was ready for more MP and better video. I did NOT, however, expect to see the basic functions get worse in order to get the newer stuff. I purchased my Canon S3 IS May 27th in anticipation of taking a new camera on a trip to Atlanta last week. Even before leaving for Atlanta, a few test shots made me wonder about the noise level of this camera, but I just told myself to give the camera a chance. However, I am very disappointed with the level of noise in this camera. See the two pictures below:

http://www.deck7studios.com/b1.jpg
http://www.deck7studios.com/b2.jpg

(These are the full size shots, so they are around 4MB each)

Both of these shots were taken on AUTO mode in bright sunlight. However, the amount of noice in the shadows is a deal breaker for me. Sure, I could have probably gotten a better shot by monkeying around with the settings, but then I might as well buy a DSLR! I can understand high noise in low light situations, but not in broad daylight. I think the ISO settings for the Auto mode are in dire need of adjustment. I am in discussions with Canon tech support, but all they'll say is don't use the AUTO mode! I wish I had taken my Sony on the trip with me to make comparision shots, but I was so sure this camera would be the cat's meow (but instead was the dog's pu-pu). In addition, I have not yet gotten the Macro or Super Macro modes to be able to focus properly, regardless of the amount of light. I also notice that about a third of the images taken with the S3 IS are over 5MB in file size, further indication of the high level of noise!

Really having second thoughts about this camera, but it may be too late. I don't know if the dealer will take it back.

Any comments?

Mike Clendenen
mclendenen1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:55 PM   #10

To do better with the S3 (and maybe other superzooms too), I think you will have to at least use the special scene modes to give the camera a hint at what to optimise for.

In the case of the b1 image it looks like the camera decided there was a lot of dark areas in the subject and that it needed to keep the shutter speed way up - so it moved to high ISO.

I thought I read that the S3 has a setting that will restrict the ISO range to keep it from climbing too high - if this is true, it might help.

If you want a camera that will produce good images on full auto in a wide variety of situations, then it might be better to keep away from the superzooms. A superzoom on auto has too wide a range of things to make guesses about. I think superzooms work best if you're prepared to learn a bit about photography - the basics of DSLR settings/controls etc (read something like http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html ).
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote