Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 17, 2006, 6:16 PM   #1

I have narrowed down my search for a new digital camera and plan on buying the new Canon S3. The only thing that bothers me is the plastic tripod mount. I use my tripod quite a bit. How good are the plastic threaded mounts? Can it be replaced if needed/wanted with a metal one? Is that something I could do or will this be a costly after market change?

Thanks for your help!
DeborahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:02 PM   #2

well just screw on the removable tripod stud and keep it there. when you want to use the tripod, just clip the stud back on.
that way you wont wear out thread.
gold4knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I actually bought a quick release for my tripod last week. Works great and less wear and tear on the plastic mount.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:35 AM   #4

I have an S3, and after looking at the mount, I'm pretty certian it isn't plastic at all. It looks like they anodized the metal part to give it that gun metal black look. I think it is 100 percent metal as i tried to mar the edge of it with my finger nail and it didn't give at all.
fullerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:20 AM   #5

DeborahB wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I actually bought a quick release for my tripod last week. Works great and less wear and tear on the plastic mount.

Which quick release did you buy? Is it universal, or tripod-specific? How much $$$

Thanks, Steve
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:36 PM   #6

I bought a universal one and I believe the brand was RPS. It was around $25 and you can buy extra plates for it at around $10 each if needed. It works really well...nice solid hold and no need to screw and unscrew the camera every time you take the camera off the tripod. The only problem with it is that the plate just slightly covers the battery opening so if you need to change batteries you have to take the plate off. This isn't an issue for me as most of my tripod use is done in one shooting session and the batteries storage is fine but it allows me to take the camera off and on multiple times withoutdisturbing the plastic mount. I just leave the plate on until it's time to change the batteries. There might be another brand that doesn't overlap the battery coverso it would be worth taking the camera with you into the shop. I bought mine before I received the camera.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:35 PM   #7

DeborahB wrote:
Quote:
I bought a universal one and I believe the brand was RPS. It was around $25 and you can buy extra plates for it at around $10 each if needed. It works really well...nice solid hold and no need to screw and unscrew the camera every time you take the camera off the tripod. The only problem with it is that the plate just slightly covers the battery opening so if you need to change batteries you have to take the plate off. This isn't an issue for me as most of my tripod use is done in one shooting session and the batteries storage is fine but it allows me to take the camera off and on multiple times withoutdisturbing the plastic mount. I just leave the plate on until it's time to change the batteries. There might be another brand that doesn't overlap the battery coverso it would be worth taking the camera with you into the shop. I bought mine before I received the camera.
Thanks DeborahB. Did you buy it online (got a URL) or from a Brick&Mortar?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:21 PM   #8

I purchased it from a local shop. They do have a website for online ordering it's www.kenmorecamera.com

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:45 PM   #9

Thanks for the info DeborahB!
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:54 AM   #10

After closer inspection I agree with you guys, it is plastic...how CHEAP. I'm pretty disappointed that they would put a plastic mont. I have some $99 cameras that have better tripod mounts than this. Guess we will see just how long it lasts...I agree I must get a quick release so that it isn't used as much!
fullerc is offline   Reply With Quote