Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 17, 2006, 7:56 AM   #11

I've got an issue with focusing at max zoom with my 2X converter in bright daylight.
Tylast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:45 AM   #12

Got my Sony VCLDH1758 today - using a Lensmate 58mm - seems pretty good so far. Hand held shots are still very possible. Should have done this some time ago.

Here is one sample, a rare Takahe (thought extinct for 50 years until 1948 ) - 1/400 sec hand held, probably could have got the speed up a bit more, but I was in a hurry - the bird was moving. Reduced the original to 1024x768 using picasa.

(I should add that I have and S2, not an S3 - will work the same though.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/171785350/

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:15 PM   #13

I just got the Sony 1.7x lens. So far I like it a lot. Does anybody know what the converter setting in the Canon S3 menu does?
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:22 PM   #14

Hi -

I am a relative neophyte - I have the Sony lens and am waiting on the 58 mm converter from lensmate - Does autofocus work with the additonal lens? Does one use manual focus instead? Are there any canon settings that have to be adjusted? Thanks for any info!!
jhall251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:13 AM   #15

I'm really happy with mine.

The converter setting is supposed to tune the IS somehow - so it will be difficult to tell whether it makes a difference. Maybe it just means that on AUTO the camera will attempt to keep the shutter speed higher than normal? I haven't had a chance to play with the lens that much - and so far I keep forgetting the tele-setting without anything bad happening.

The autofocus works fine - the autofocus actually looks through the lens and just tries to adjust the focus to maximise the sharpness of verticals, so it's business as usual. The only minor issue is that the camera will record the wrong subject distance in the image's exif data. I'm not sure what the new minimum focus distance is, I guess it will go out a bit.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:27 AM   #16

Hi, finally I received my Sony DH1758 for my Canon S3 IS.

I'm using it with the Cancon LAH-DC20 adapter and I'm not very happy with it because in the lower zooming range the image is round because the DH1758 isn't directly attached to the lens obviously.

Do the other DH1758 users use other adapters like the Lensmate ones?

Regards,
Matthias

malcom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:01 PM   #17

"I'm not very happy with it because in the lower zooming range the image is round because the DH1758 isn't directly attached to the lens obviously."

That isn't a reason to not be happy with it. It's the nature of the device. It is designed to increase your maximum zoom. If you need to zoom out far enough that you see the edge of the adapter then push the bayonet release and twist off the multiplier lens. It only takes literally a second to pop it off.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:36 AM   #18

Quote:
If you need to zoom out far enough that you see the edge of the adapter then push the bayonet release and twist off the multiplier lens. It only takes literally a second to pop it off.
Thanks for the advice :-). But my question was: Does this happen with other adapters like Lensmate ones aswell?

Btw: I think it's much more than a second because you'd also need to take care of the removed part and maybe this is the time where the scene has alreada changed and the shot is gone.

malcom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:01 AM   #19

Yes that is how they all work. It is not a function of a cheap or poorly designed adapter. It it a function of the physics of light waves.