Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:00 PM   #11

You almost certainly have a bum camera. Return it while you can.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:58 PM   #12

I've just started proceedings to get them to take the camera back. But it looks like there not going to take it back with out a fight and I've only had the camera for 4 workingdays.

Thanks all for your help.
dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:06 PM   #13

Doesn't the UK have any consumer protection agencies/tv-programs/...?

Did you buy it with a credit card? Isn't it some kind of fruad if they don't honour their advertised policy - perhaps a credit card company would step in if it was explained that way?

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:26 AM   #14

I found a web site called consumerdirect.gov.uk and called them on the phone. They gave me all the advice I needed and what to write in the letter to the shop and I also included some pics of the corrupted photo's and all went well. Had a phone call same day as they received the letter and told me to take the camera back to the shop and get a full refund and by UK law because it had a fault they had to refund me the fullP&P as well. But I will say that the shop owner was not very pleased at all. I will not be buying from there again.

The only troublenow is that I have been put off buying another Canon S3 IS camera.

Thanks all for your help.

dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:09 PM   #15

Sorry to hear about your problems with your S3 IS. I just came from my local Sony Store and refuned my H5. And was considering the S3 IS when I came across many negative posts.

In short, my new H5, had bogus battery life readings and would suddenly shutdown. Even after only 5 shots using a fully charged Sony NiMH battery! Is that rediculous or what?!! :P

So disappointed! The H5 was my first digital camera too. Shot great quality pics. Everything seemed to work out fine except for this bogus batter level readout and shutdowns. Mine shut down a total of maybe 5 times. Out of a total of maybe 35 shots.

So, what camera should we be looking at next? Got any great ideas? I was considering the Fuji F30 and maybe the Nikon S6 in the same group as the H5 and S3. But did want a 12x optical zoom and the 3" screen. That's why I went with the Sony DSC-H5. Back to square 1 Arrrrrrrrrrrggg!! :P
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:01 AM   #16

Have a look at one of the Panasonic superzooms. I have the FZ10 and have been very pleased with it. It's been dead reliable from day one, also.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:19 AM   #17

I'm sure all these brands are fine. As far as I'm aware, manufactured goods have about a 5% failure rate - 1 in 20 is a dud. I wouldn't switch brands just because of one dud (or maybe not even two if it was part of the same shipment - maybe the crate got dropped).

These forums tend to have a lot of posts from people with one problem or another. People who aren't having problems are often too busy to be bothered reporting how many problems they aren't having.

The main thing is to buy from an outfit that will sort any issues out for you. As one outfit around here says: It's the putting right that counts.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:59 AM   #18

That's strange. I bought the S3is and was "seduced" by the images of a H5 so I sold my S3is and got myself a H5 only to be disappointed by its ergometrics and slightlylong shutter lag when using flash along with the weird battery metering. So I returned my H5 and got myself another S3is. couldn't be happier with it.
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:19 AM   #19

danielg wrote:
Quote:
That's strange. I bought the S3is and was "seduced" by the images of a H5 so I sold my S3is and got myself a H5 only to be disappointed by its ergometrics and slightlylong shutter lag when using flash along with the weird battery metering. So I returned my H5 and got myself another S3is. couldn't be happier with it.
I actually liked the ergonomics of the H5. I liked where the buttons were placed. The grip sat in my hand rather comfortably. Keeping in mind this is still considered a "compact" camera (vs. a DSLR...which would be that much more "form fitting"). And I too was impressed with the pictures seen on the web (yes I know there's no substitute for a print) and the picture quality I got shooting my H5. If it weren't for the inaccurate battery level readings and the sudden shutdowns I would definitely have kept it. And even recommended it to friends.

How long have you had your S3 IS? You don't think the pictures look "soft" as customers/reviewers claim? How is the battery level indicuator? Is it accurate? Has it been totally reliable?

For mchnz,

I'd agree with you on that in most cases but as you have just read from danielg's post he's another H5 user/owner who's run into "battery related" issues. Apparently we're not the only two btw...

And as for Panasonics...I did like what I saw in the picture galleries for the FZ30...but it was Panasonics' notorious rep for heavy noise that's kept me away.

Right now my choices are: Fujifilm F30, Sony DSC-H1 (yes! the first gen H series...apparently many H1 owners swear by it's reliablity...no sudden shutdowns even when used with 3rd party batteries...not sure about the battery power level readings yet..they haven't got back to me on that one yet) Sony T30/T9 and possibly the S3 IS. I haven't totally written off the S3 IS.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:28 AM   #20

The H1 is IMO the best 12x zoom out there in its category. The battery read out is accurate whether you use the Sony battery, regular alkaline or rechargeable AA. Its optics are awesome (even though it does not carry the Carl Zeiss brandlens). It's fast, it has great features and produces beautiful images. You can't go wrong!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote