Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:29 AM   #21
Administrator

dx90 wrote:
Quote:
I do a low level format every time. The 16mb card that came with the camera can hold about 7 photos and out of the 7, 2? Marks and a reduced sized photo with corrupted data across them when viewing through the cameras review function. But all photos this time looked alright when viewed on the PC in full picture mode but not in the thumb nail mode. The camera is only one week old tomorrow. Do you think I should get in touch with Canon or the shop where I purchased it from; I purchased it over the internet?
What do you mean by "I do a low level format every time"?

Most of the time, corrupted images are happening because of user error. For example, letting a PC write to a memory card (erasing images, moving versus copying images, etc.).

If the driver is not setup to allow "fast removal", and you don't use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray before unplugging a camera, you can easily corrupt the FAT (File Allocation Table) on the memory card if the cache buffers from the operating system have not been flushed to media yet.

As a rule, I always format a memory card using a camera's menus prior to every use, and I always have. That insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it to be (since the camera itself is performing the format, versus a PC.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:22 PM   #22

Jim, "low-level" format is a selectable option on the camera when you go to the"format" menu. In the user manual for the S3 Canon recommends doinga low-levelif the performance of the memory card becomes slow.Low level format isused to wipe the card completely clean as opposed to just using the "erase images" menu on the camera.
dr88keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:56 PM   #23
Administrator

Thanks for the education. When I hear "low level format", I'm assuming some kind of utility is being used. I didn't pay that much attention to the menu options available in the S3.

If it were the OP's only card, I'd suspect a bad card (there were some compatibiity problems with Kingston cards reported by a number of Canon S1 IS users). But, Canon came out with a firmware update to help compatibility with that model. So, newer models shouldn't have a problem with Kingston.

Personally, I avoid Kingston Cards, as some Konica Minolta models have write speed problems with some of them (even a standard Sandisk card can be around 7 times as fast as a Kingston Elite Pro in a KM DSLR); and Kodak DSLR models won't work with some of them either).

Corrupted images is another complaint I've seen from KM owners using Kingston media. Most complaints are users of Kingston CompactFlash media (although I do know one KM G500 owner that had 2 bad Kingston SD cards in a row, as the replacement they provided also had problems). But, to be fair, I've seen my share of problems reported with Sandisk and other brands, too.

But, if similar problems occur with other cards, then something else might be going wrong.

I'd still suspect a card problem if only the 16MB card and the 512MB Kingston have been tried, though

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:24 PM   #24

danielg wrote:
Quote:
That's strange. I bought the S3is and was "seduced" by the images of a H5 so I sold my S3is and got myself a H5 only to be disappointed by its ergometrics and slightlylong shutter lag when using flash along with the weird battery metering. So I returned my H5 and got myself another S3is. couldn't be happier with it.
Don't speak too soon, danielg. I wish you good luck with the S3!!!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:27 PM   #25

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Don't speak too soon, danielg. I wish you good luck with the S3!!!

Its very subjective, I agree that the Sony H series are great cameras with great image qualities. But I've been there and done that and I personally prefer the Canon system. Btw you are in the Canon forum and .........
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:43 PM   #26

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I actually liked the ergonomics of the H5. I liked where the buttons were placed. The grip sat in my hand rather comfortably. Keeping in mind this is still considered a "compact" camera (vs. a DSLR...which would be that much more "form fitting"). And I too was impressed with the pictures seen on the web (yes I know there's no substitute for a print) and the picture quality I got shooting my H5. If it weren't for the inaccurate battery level readings and the sudden shutdowns I would definitely have kept it. And even recommended it to friends.

How long have you had your S3 IS? You don't think the pictures look "soft" as customers/reviewers claim? How is the battery level indicuator? Is it accurate? Has it been totally reliable?

I've had the S3is for close to a month now. I personally prefer a less is more approach when it comes to in-camera processing as it gives me a bit more leeway during post processing. Some one pointed out to me that if I wanted the "Sony look" I should try to set the S3is to the "positive film" setting to match the deeper contrast and colors of the Sony H series.

The S3is as with most Canon P&S cameras doesn't have any battery meter. But I've have had great experiences with the Canon battery life.

Here are some sample of the "soft" images from my S3is

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:44 AM   #27

Very nice pictures danielg! Love the ones with the rain drops with the blurred background!!

And no they don't look "soft" to me. Not sure why some say that about the S3 IS and some other Canon models to be honest. Just wanted to hear from a S3 IS owner.

And I only found out earlier today that Canon's don't have a battery level indicator but flashes a red icon on the screen when the batteries are near empty. I like that approacch more.

Not sure if I'm going to give the H5 a second chance. I loved everything about the camera except for the fact that mine gave me bogus battery power readouts and had shutdown a few times. And apparently I'm the only one in this forum who had those problems with his H5. So, maybe I got a lemon. Only one way to find out I guess.

Besides, Sony Stores have a great return policy. You get 30 days to take your item back for a full-refund. Though they do try to ask you some questions. Though, not any more than the "geniius'" at BestBuy. So, should I get another dud of a H5, I would have nothing to loose but a little time.

And assuming I end up with a second dud then I'm picking up a S3 IS. Hopefully the $25.00 CAD rebeate will still be available.

Later guy. Again....great shots man!!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:49 AM   #28

Thanks very much! When I tried out the H5, I had similar problems with the battery meter like you did. Mine turned from full charge to half to quarter full real quick. So you are not alone in your experience. I didnt have mine shut off by itself though. I can truly say I tried both and I chose the S3is.

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Very nice pictures danielg! Love the ones with the rain drops with the blurred background!!

And no they don't look "soft" to me. Not sure why some say that about the S3 IS and some other Canon models to be honest. Just wanted to hear from a S3 IS owner.

And I only found out earlier today that Canon's don't have a battery level indicator but flashes a red icon on the screen when the batteries are near empty. I like that approacch more.

Not sure if I'm going to give the H5 a second chance. I loved everything about the camera except for the fact that mine gave me bogus battery power readouts and had shutdown a few times. And apparently I'm the only one in this forum who had those problems with his H5. So, maybe I got a lemon. Only one way to find out I guess.

Besides, Sony Stores have a great return policy. You get 30 days to take your item back for a full-refund. Though they do try to ask you some questions. Though, not any more than the "geniius'" at BestBuy. So, should I get another dud of a H5, I would have nothing to loose but a little time.

And assuming I end up with a second dud then I'm picking up a S3 IS. Hopefully the $25.00 CAD rebeate will still be available.

Later guy. Again....great shots man!!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:09 PM   #29

Hi danielg, when it comes to digital photography, I'm very open minded. I don't stick to this or that brand and the reason is because no camera is perfect. Each has its positives and negatives, no matter what brand or model they are. Obviously, some are better than others. Some brands are more consistent in terms of quality and design than others. At one point in not too distant of a past, I had as many as6 digicams: Canon A610, Nikon Coolpix 4200,PanasonicLZ2, Kodak DX6440, Canon S2 and Sony H1. On top of those, I've owned a Canon S110 (digital Elph), Panasonic LC33, LC70, LC80 and recently purchased the Panasonic FZ20. Of course many of these cameras I sold already because they were old and I really did not need to have this many. You canprobably tell that I really like the Panas based on the various models I've owned. Ikept the LZ2 (great pocket 6x zoom with IS - awesome little camera for places where carrying a big bag is not an option), the DX6440 (has very strong flash and super wide angle lens, great for indoor party shots), the H1 (my best camera ever) and my new FZ20 (still playing with it but a bit disappointed because of excessive noise and purple fringing). As you can see, each camera has its value. Thus, I like to check different forums, participate in discussions (if I have solid basis to issue an opinion), hear what people have to say about new (and old)cameras, etc. However, what I find interesting is that Canon fans tend to be veryfaithful to the brandand refuse to admit that perhaps (just perhaps),some Canon models are not asgood as they want them to be and refuse to admit their problems/limitations. A good example is the S2.Yousearch this forum and you'llsee what I mean. There are more topics onS2 problems (AF issues, picture softness,memory card error, battery life issues,you name it) than any other forum on any other camera and still, S2 users look for excuses to justifyevery single issue. Memory card error is a great example of this behavior.All of myprevious and current cameras (except for the H1), use SD cards. I have many cards of differentcapacities and brands and havenever experienced a card error with any of my cameras (old and new) except with...the S2.Hummm, is ita Sandisk or Kingston problem? If it wasn't for the fact that so many S2 owners experienced the same exact problem, I could perhaps think thatmaybe my unit was a lemon.Inany case I can either simply read the various comments on the subject or contribute to the subject by issuing my opinion.

In a way, choosing a digicam is like getting married. It does not matter how bad people talk about it, you always think that with youit will be different. That's what happened to me when I decided to buy the S2 after having the H1. I loved the colors the camera produced and thought that maybethe thousands of S2 owners out there did not know how to operate the camera (I'm good, aren't I? Better than anyone else...wow!!!). That was my mistake because the bottom line is, the S2 is full of problems but many people don't realize it (or don't want to admit) because they don't have anything else to compare with. Theybelieve taht the various issues reported by many many users areunsubstantiated. I found that they were real issues. Manypeople heredon'tagree with my postings but the fact is that I've also received manypersonal emails from usersconfirming that many of my comments were right on. So,if one person benefits from my experiences,itis worth it sharing my points of view.

As for the S3, I can not say much except that the camera is basically the S2 with very few changes (I'm not even sure I can call it upgrades). I don't have one (and I won't have one), so I can't reallymake strong comments about it. Hopefully, Canon fixed some internal problems from the S2, making the S3 amore solidcamera. It certainly has good qualities and as I understand, it uses the Sony sensor, whichwill helpreduce the "fog effect" evident on the S2.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:59 PM   #30

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
As for the S3, I can not say much except that the camera is basically the S2 with very few changes (I'm not even sure I can call it upgrades). I don't have one (and I won't have one), so I can't reallymake strong comments about it. Hopefully, Canon fixed some internal problems from the S2, making the S3 amore solidcamera. It certainly has good qualities and as I understand, it uses the Sony sensor, whichwill helpreduce the "fog effect" evident on the S2.

The S2is used a Sony sensor too. I do agree however that the H series of Sony have a more robust focusing algorithm I guess that's the advantage of being the sensor manufacturer as I am sure the Camera's R&D engineers have more "inside stuff" than others. =) My ideal camera would be to marry the H- series' imaging system to a S2/S3is body