Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:44 PM   #1

Hi all

I don't know if this is posted in the correct place as I am new to posting, apologies if wrong.

I have just purchased a Canon S3 ISwith a Kingston 512 MB SD standared cardand a lot of my thumbnail imageshave awide band of colour over them mainly green and some of these when enlarged look ok but some of them are not. I have included a link to one of thephotos below that are not ok when enlarged.

Can anyone advise ifthis is the fault of the camera or maybe the memory card?http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.u.../IMG_0158a.jpg

Many thanksfor any advice.

dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:33 PM   #2

Does it work OK with the original Canon card?

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:02 AM   #3

I have some more info on when using the Kingston card. Until know I never reviewed the photos I took through the camera always on the PC. I viewed through the camera today and a lot of the photos say corrupted data across them.

I will try a the original card intoday the only thing is with thatit fills up to quickly, but it seems not to be doing the same thing all of the time it seems to be intermittent. I will post here with the results after test.

Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:43 AM   #4

I have tried the 16mb card that came with the camera and every now and again I get the corrupted data come up is this normal or should I send the camera for repair?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:21 PM   #5

I've never seen a corrupted image on any of the cards I use. I think the only normal way to corrupt a card is to try and remove it while the camera is still turned on. Looks like your camera needs checking out. If it's very new perhaps exchange it for another.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:12 PM   #6

Sounds like your camera need to be checked out. One thing you might also try is a low-level format on the memory cards.
dr88keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:01 AM   #7

I do a low level format every time. The 16mb card that came with the camera can hold about 7 photos and out of the 7, 2? Marks and a reduced sized photo with corrupted data across them when viewing through the cameras review function. But all photos this time looked alright when viewed on the PC in full picture mode but not in the thumb nail mode. The camera is only one week old tomorrow. Do you think I should get in touch with Canon or the shop where I purchased it from; I purchased it over the internet?

It's a local shop in town I purchased it from, but I had loads of trouble from them saying they had it in stock and promising it will be there tomorrow but it never arrived they kept saying this more than once. I was shocked to see it when it finally did.

Thanks

Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:52 AM   #8

I'd normally try the shop I bought it from - that's normal practice here in New Zealand - but I guess things might differ where you are.

If it's not of merchantable quality then I presume you can ask for a refund and then get a replacement elsewhere. What are you consumers rights? Do you have any consumer rights due to it being a internet/mail-order purchase? What is the sites stated policies? Check these things out.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:54 PM   #9

Seems like you have a defective unit. I'd take it back and either ask for a replacement or a refund.
dr88keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:41 PM   #10

There return policy is, if you have a fault in the first 14days they will give a full refund andrefund the shipping cost back. This soundsgood until youask them about the returns policy and then theyjust say ifyou have a faulty camera in the first year send it to use and we will get it repaired.They avoided answeringmy question about returningthe camera for a refund. I think I will have a lot of problems getting a refund from them but I will try.

Does anyone on here have the same camera and is there any firmware problems with them?

I don't think a camera like this should have these faults from new but some seem to. Perhaps the Canon S3 SI is one of them but I don't know any one else that owns one to see if they have problems like this.