Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:59 AM   #1

I have a Powershot A75 that has developed an intermittent LCD screen problem. It sometimes begins to "shimmer" and then fades to virtually black so that you can see nothing. I first noticed the problem a couple of weeks ago when I found the casing of the camera coming slightly apart a couple of mm. When I pushed the casing back into position so the straight edges were flush again the camera was OK. Since then though it has developed this occasional problem.

The camera has been dropped to the floor (inside it's protective and padded case) on only 1 occasion I am aware of. This may have caused the casing to jar apart.

I have checked the batteries and they are fine.

The camera is not yet 2 years old but is out of warranty.

I have been quoted $80 AUD to diagnose the problem.

I am wondering if this problem is terminal or fixable?

BigBad64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:18 PM   #2

my a75 is exactly 2 years old, and it has the same problem you mention: turn it on, no clear signal, fades to black, fiddle with lcd button, still flickers, etc etc.

however, i've never dropped my camera. But these past 6 months, I've used the camera almost rarely. In total, this camera has taken over 2300 pictures.

cosmetically, it looks like new. But the lcd flickers, and actually screws up the picture unless i turn off the lcd and use the peephole instead.

Lesson learned:
don't spend too much money on a digicam. These things don't last long these days.
2 years shelf life. don't expect more.

below is an example of how badly the lcd messes up my picture. The other picture is normal.
The only solution is to turn off the lcd.

Canon sucks.

Attached Images

link626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:23 PM   #3

this is what the above blurred picture is supposed to look like
Attached Images

link626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:44 AM   #4

I think I'll get a quote to fix it and if it's too much then just buy another basic one. You would think that you'd get more than 2 years out of a camera, although maybe it would be OK if I hadn't dropped it. Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:36 AM   #5

I just had a new LCD screen fitted at $150 AUD and guess what? The first time I turn it on, same problem. Not impressed to say the least. I'm taking it back tomorrow am. How do I know they even put in a new LCD screen if it's doing the same thing? The front looks scratched, wouldn't it be spotless?
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:02 AM   #6

Hi! any update on the LCD repair you did? My A75 actually is approximately 1 1/2 years now and my LCD started the same way, the LCD flickered and right now it's totally out. I couldn't see a thing. I tried taking pictures with it and i still got the same shots quality wise but i can no longer use the LCD. I'm hoping there's a way to fix this because i don't have enough money right now to buy a new digicam.

Any update, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:51 AM   #7

I took the camera back to the repairer and he said that as we had eliminated the LCD screen as the culprit then it was probably the "Illuminator" behind it, which is apparently a separate part. He is waiting on this part from Canon and hopefully this will fix the problem. I sighted the old LCD screen which he replaced so I wasn't dudded.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:46 AM   #8

Finally got the camera back repaired today for $150 AUD total.

Apparently the faulty part was the "DC-DC Converter", a circuit board.

Seems to be working OK now.

If the same thing happened again and I knew it was going to take so long to repair, I think I'd put the $150 towards a new camera and be done with it.

Matter finalised.