Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1

:?[img]images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img][img]images/emoticons/shakehead.gif[/img]

hi,
i have to post some excellent pictures to sell some of my extra stuff on ebay ......

i have Canon Powershot S60 and G2( with extra lenses ) ......

when i take close up picture in Auto mode, Glare of reflection is tremendous and picture is not impressive.........

My Question is what should be the SETTINGS on Powersht S60 and G2 for this kind of photography......... do i need to change Mode from Auto to some other...

Remember without flash these pics are too dark and with flash too bright....

I will appreciate advice in this regard

nauman_416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 2:54 PM   #2

You could try setting the item to be photographed in bright natural light or a well lit room so you dont have to use flash

Or place a diffuser over the harsh flash ie a folded hanky, a piece of white plastic, a cut open ping pong ball or a proper diffuser such as those made by lumiquest (<$20). The idea being to soften the harsh direct light and soften the hard edged shadows you get.

Many people on ebay use a light tentsuch as here,the item is placedinsidewith desk lamps outside the tent. That way the item is evenly illuminated with little harsh shadows.

Another idea is not to use macro mode as such, ie dont photograph the item from a couple of inches away, standback and use the zoom to get as close as possible, while still leaving clearance between the item and the flash , hopefully the reflections will not be as bad, though again, direct flash is not going to get you the best results.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3

thanks dear, i liked ur idea of cuuting Ping Pong ball and using as diffuser but i think surface area of this custom made diffuser is too small ... inother words link of umbrella u mentioned in ur post seems to be a better idea because of large surface area .........

what do u think gives the best result ....

Also how to use umbrella ... i mean it cannt be put on the flash or how u will do with it.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:28 PM   #4

nauman_416 wrote:
Quote:
Also how to use umbrella ...
Umbrella ???

The lumiquest softscreen I use is @ http://www.lumiquest.com/softscreen.htm

I just attach it to my camera with elastic bands or just hold in in front of the flash using one hand if I only want to use it on occasion, though a folded hanky or napkin can also be used in a pince.

The light tent is perhaps the best way for small items to be photographed, you can buy a cheap one on ebay for less than $20.

Then just get a couple of desk lamps and put daylight bulbs in them to provide a whiter light that you get with normal bulbs.

If you have money to burn then you can eventually get expensive professional lights with proper photographic quality daylight bulbs, but even the cheap daylight bulbs are a lot better than the yellowish light generated by normal bulbs.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:47 PM   #5

sorry to bother u again........ i think i could not ask question properly , let me try again

let's i buy light tent .......... then where i put it ( on camera or on the thing to be photographed or near the thing to be photographed )

2ndly >> do i usw desklamps with ligh tent or without tent.......... where should be the direction of light from lamps ( towards thing to be photographed or awar from it )

if the light tent is not on camera flash .... then do i need flash of the camera as well to fire since i will be having desk lamps and light tent also throwing light.

thanks for clearing up my questions

Old Jun 11, 2006, 6:30 PM   #6

Quote:
let's i buy light tent .......... then where i put it ( on camera or on the thing to be photographed or near the thing to be photographed )
You put the light tent on a desk or table or on the floor. The tent is large, typically 12x12x12 inches or bigger and the item to be photographed is placed inside.
Quote:
2ndly >> do i usw desklamps with ligh tent or without tent.......... where should be the direction of light from lamps ( towards thing to be photographed or awar from it
Unless you have very bright house lighting then place the desklamps either side of the tent, some people would add a third from above if necessary.

Quote:
if the light tent is not on camera flash .... then do i need flash of the camera as well to fire since i will be having desk lamps and light tent also throwing light.
The camera is outside the light tent, either handheld or better on a tripod. The aim is to not use the flash but have the item bathed in enough diffuse light through the tent so that it is evenly lit and no harsh flash is needed.

Most light tents have a slit in the front cover so if the item you are photographing is very shiny and would normally show a reflection of the camera, you can lower the cover and just have the camera lens poking through the slit.

Here are some photos of current ebay light tents..

[align=left][/align]
Old Jun 11, 2006, 6:48 PM   #7

[img]images/emoticons/jumping-smiley-004.gif[/img]

thanks dear, u made my life easy... i have so many gadgets that i need to sell them.

how about this kind of thing ,... link is from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting
Old Jun 11, 2006, 7:32 PM   #8

Yes that would be a good one, though you can see cheaper ones available depending on what size you need eg a 16x16x16 one can be seen here.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:14 PM   #9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

the above one has a tripod sort of thing which u see when u enlarge pictures

and see this one as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1