Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:27 PM   #11

Excuse me??? So, one can ONLY post to a forum ifhe/she has good things to say? Until a couple of weeks ago I had an S2 (finally got rid of it and I'm much happier now). I have many different camera brands. I'm very open minded when it comes to digital photography. I'm not a hard core fan of any particular brand. I go for quality, not brand. That's just a name. So, I like to check not just the forums related to cameras I currently have (Panasonic, Kodak, Sony,...) to see what people (like you JockScott) have to say.I wish I hadgone by the many articles I've read in this and other Canonforums about the various problems with the S2 and not have bought it. Big mistake that was.

In any case, ifyou readwhat I wrote about the S3, you'll notice that I did not bash it because Idon't actually have one.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:47 AM   #12

yeah, tullio has been quite professional about it i reckon, well done. I had a canon S2 as well =) but after i learnt all i could from it, i decided to upgrade, now I am using D50, missing the 12 zoom though hehe
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:08 AM   #13

Thanks, wisely_foolish. I've been debating about getting myselfa D50 and the only thing that has prevented me fromdoing sois the extra cost that I'm sure will incur (zoom/WA lens and such). I have a Sony tele and RaynoxWA converter andfor both I paid less than a third of the cost of a good 80-200 for the D50.My problem is that because of the amount of magnification I get with the tele, when I shoot w/o the converter it seems that 12x is nothing. It just comes to show that no matter whatequipment we have, we never have enough! You'll be happy with the D50, I've no doubt. I haven'tread about any serious problems with this modeland the images I've seencoming out of the camera are gorgeous.Enjoy it!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Excuse me??? So, one can ONLY post to a forum if he/she has good things to say?
No, but.. Repeated comments as to why a Sony camera is better and why the Canon camera is inferior might be more appropriate in the "Which camera should I buy?" forum. Posting derogatory comments in a brand forum is really asking for argument. IMHO

BTW. It looks like you're averaging 10 comments a day, every day, seven days a week, since you joined. WOW!
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:56 AM   #15

Gee, I've never done the math! Thanks! Well Bill, although I admit you've got a point, I must also say that if you go back to my first postings in this forum, you'll see that they did not have a negative connotation. In fact, I was quite enthusiastic about getting myself an S2 and prior to that, I had a good experience with the A610. The negative attitude toward Canon came from my frustration and disappointment with the S2, which I ended up selling. If you read what I write, you'll also find that I try to be fair and that all my comments are from personal experiences, not from reading reviews and such.

As for the 10 postings/day average, I'd say that probably more than 50% are comments on other people's pictures. I enjoy sharing thephotos I take as well as reading the comments people make about them. That's a great learning instrument and for sure my photographic skills have improved tremendously since I started participating in Steve's forums. So, just as I like to readwhat people have to say about my work,I imagine people like to read what other people have to say about their work. I want to make sure I give and take. The other 50% of my postings is a combination of photos I upload and threads involving technical issues that I end up participating. Some of them extends way beyond my expectations.

As you can see, I don't spend my days in the Canon forum bashing Canon cameras. I do have various cameras modelsfrom different brands. Some I don't use as much so I don't bother checking their forums (my Kodak DX6440 is a good example). I tend to be more passionate about the cameras that I either really like or dislike. I recently bought a Panasonic FZ20 (old model but still considered a great camera by many). I posted my first impressions of this camera in the Panasonic forum. Did I have great things to say about it? Sure but you better believe I also had a hand full of negatives. No camera is perfectand what really tick me off is when people simply refuse to admitobvious problems with certain cameras.

Cheers!
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:51 PM   #16

Hi Tullio, yes you are definitely right, the extra costs involved with a DSLR is really hurting my wallet. Its gone critically anorexic, especially on a student's budget. And at the moment, I have my eyes set on an external flash :lol:Apart from that and the 12x zoom range that I sorely missed with the S2, I believe the upgrade is definitely worth it. hehe thanks Tullio for the encouragement. I hope you too will one day venture into the world of DSLR when your ready hehe

I think we should understand the limitations that each camera has and in turn, know ourselves and what conditions we generally going to shoot in. That way, we wont be dissappointed from expecting too much from our little investment.

If its just pictures of friends and family, convenient to carry around everywhere,and you dont really care how it turns out, then a point n shoot is great (I had a canon IXUS 50 for that, and the pictures were superb for its purpose).

If its the above, plus a larger zoom range, and you wish to be a bit more creative, do a bit more artistic shots and so forth, then an ultra zoom may suite your conditions.

Ifyou wantmore creative control over your camera, plus fast focus performanceand low light performance and have the ability to manipulate your picturesusing Photoshop or something then you may wish to consider a DSLR.

Each will have its compromise. the canon S2 was great for some of the conditions i needed it for, but as I started to use it, I realised I wanted more control and faster low light performance, especially for some sports shots and the fact I do most of my shooting in the evening or night,I needed to go up.

I envied the sony H1 as well,but because they use memory stick cards that are changed every 3 or so years and new devices are not backwards compatible, that was the major drawback for me. Even the new sony DSLR A100 uses CF cards nowI believe.
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:43 PM   #17

I'm sure by next year I'll be following your path, shooting with a D50 (or equivalent). I know what you mean by Sony's inconsistence when it comes to memory cards for their cameras. The H1 uses MS PRO, the H2/H5 uses PRO DUO (they do not accept PRO and you are right, the A100 uses CF cards. Why??? I thought this format was pretty much dead. I don't mind the memory stick except for its price. You don't hear people reporting card errors (quite common with SD cards)so either Sony cameras are more solid in this area or the MS is a better media.