Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1

To anyone who wants to protect their LCD screen from damage:

I just purchaced the Canon SD700 and it should be arriving in a couple of days. I want to protect the screen the best I can so I have done some research on LCD screen protectors. So far the one that seems like it gives the best protection without being too cumbersome is the 'da acrylic protector (strange name!). The problem is I do not know if any of the current 'custom' sizes they offer would fit the screen on this new Canon. They do not yet list a product to fit this new camera on their website. I have sent three emails to them in the past week (they do not have a phone) and all I get is an automated response back.

I know the screen is 2.5 inch...same as the SD450, 550 and 600. However, since the placement on the camera is a little different than past Canons, I'm not sure if one of the protectors for the earlier models would fit correctly. Here is the link to their website in case you are not familiar with them. The soft plastic or silicone protectors just don't seem to be enough protection. Any comments or suggestions? Does anyone have a 'da protector?

Steve, your help would also be welcome. Thanks!

Patty

http://www.daproducts.com

pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2

<snip>
The soft plastic or silicone protectors just don't seem to be enough protection. Any comments or suggestions? Does anyone have a 'da Protector™?

===========================================
Just noticed your post. I have a 'da Protector™ on another camera, not on my new S80. Glancing at the 'da Protector™, it looks like it would ALMOST fit on my Canon. Might take a little 'trim' to fit under the viewfinder.
I've been very satisfied with 'da Protector™. If that company comes up with one to fit the S80, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

(Usual disclaimers)
harry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:08 AM   #3

In order to protect the LCD from impact damage the shield must be hard and not touch the LCD. I have a Da Products protector on mine (an SD700). For the 2.5 screen choose the T1 size protector, same as for the SD550 and SD600. When the protector is taped (tape supplied)to the frame around the LCDthere will be a slight (the needed) gap between it and the LCD.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:22 PM   #4

I just got this for my SD 700. I havent mounted it yet, but i notice it is a little small.

It looks like the black border line will cut off about 1/16th of the LCD.

Not that big of a deal, but i was wondering what eveyone thought about that?

DeadByDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:27 PM   #5

You are right, the protector is not an exact fit and there is a tiny area that it coverson the LCD. I have not missed it and neither will you...it is so unnoticeable once you get it on and power up your camera. You will be happy you have the extra protection!
pgaydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:23 PM   #6

make sure that you DO get something becuase the LCD on the Powershots are VERY fragile....i accidentally bumped my handbag and that was enough to crack my LCD.

ironically i was on a 3 wk vacation and i took pains to NOT let anything happen to it whiolte i was there. jesus christ. canon should realy take pains to try to insure that any damage of this sort is limited...

in the meantime, anyone have any tips on how to get this replaced? under warranty or without warranty? thx
phoenixbebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:27 PM   #7

I will have to cast my vote for "da protector" also. I just put one on my 20D, my SD400, my digital rebel, and my olympus C2020Z. Would leave home without one.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:56 PM   #8

i hear that they do crack even WITH the protector on...geez welps canon u gotta figure this one out. how come i dont read of other LCD cracking issues with other brand of cameras...highly suspect

:roll:

but hey having one is better than NOT having one...for sure.
phoenixbebe is offline   Reply With Quote